Android Survival Road - Can you survive? (seeking feedback)

T

tiny547

Survival Road (Android)
Seeking feedback - I haven't let anyone play it other than myself until now.
The demo is pretty short and placeholders have been added for the time being.

The idea behind the game was to make something really challenging but fun. Almost like a interactive story with the managing of stats and choices aspect. It's not fast paced at all. I really like the survival genre and I'm hoping to find like-minded others that will find it enjoyable to play.

Game Play
Lost in the cold wilderness, you'll have to manage your health, temperature, energy, food, and water.
Events will happen throughout the game that will present risk or reward choices.
Travel as far as you can without dying from the harsh environment and the choices you'll make.

Current State
  • Some place holders
  • Only about 1/4 of all the events that you'll encounter have been added. Again, really short demo at the moment.
  • Quick setup of collectibles throughout the game. Game is unbalanced currently, stats and bonuses will need to be combed through and tested in the final stages. I quickly made estimates of stats and collectible placement so the game will at least playable for a few minutes in the current state.
  • Will be adding a searchable vehicle, another hostile animal, and environmental risks.
Feedback Request
  1. This will be a mobile game so I'm really curious how the current aspect ratio correction and scaling works on other devices (your device). I have two devices I test on, one 16:9 and the other like 128:75 or something.
  2. Most importantly, is it fun? I haven't received feedback until now so I'd really like to know what you guys think.

Demo:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.tinygaminggames.SurvivalRoadGame

Thank you, everyone!

Update: Funny story, I accidentally pushed the game to production while trying to update the beta apk lol. I'm actually going to roll with the punches and I've been pushing updates non-stop.
The game is still semi-short but it should be playable in the state and somewhat enjoyable but I still really need feedback from you guys :)

Last edited by a moderator:
T

tiny547

I definitely will, im a huge fan of survival games.
Same here. I played a lot of the zombie games when they first started hitting the market. I found out later it wasn't so much the zombies, etc but the survival aspect that I really enjoyed.
So, I thought this was a cool concept.

Last edited by a moderator:
T

tiny547

Edit: Tried to upload image from my mobile phone, didn't work. Lol

Z

zendraw

i think ive watched a tutorial with that character. are you that tutorial guy? also do you plan on makin a pc version for this? i mean why not.

T

tiny547

i think ive watched a tutorial with that character. are you that tutorial guy? also do you plan on makin a pc version for this? i mean why not.
Wasn't me. You probably seen the character from the YoYo RPG asset package in the marketplace. The character is very similar. It was inspired from that.

I thought about making a pc version. I want to get the mobile version out first though.

Vxss57

Wasn't me. You probably seen the character from the YoYo RPG asset package in the marketplace. The character is very similar. It was inspired from that.

I thought about making a pc version. I want to get the mobile version out first though.
I need pc version. Android not good for me

T

tiny547

Still seeking feedback.

Can't post much during the week (work), will post updates during the weekend with build updates.

K

Kuro

I don't have an android device handy (only have a kindle fire which I've not got around to jailbreaking yet) so fraid I can't offer any help with testing it, but just wanted to drop a line to say (as others have noted also) that the game's aesthetic looks awesome judging by the screenshot.

T

tiny547

I don't have an android device handy (only have a kindle fire which I've not got around to jailbreaking yet) so fraid I can't offer any help with testing it, but just wanted to drop a line to say (as others have noted also) that the game's aesthetic looks awesome judging by the screenshot.
Thank you!

JackTurbo

Hey man, gave you game a go.

On the whole it was great, looks like you've got a strong foundation to build upon here!

I do however think you need to communicate what the stats are and what effect they have to the player a bit better.

Art was great too, super clear but with plenty of character.

Great job overall

T

tiny547

Hey man, gave you game a go.

On the whole it was great, looks like you've got a strong foundation to build upon here!

I do however think you need to communicate what the stats are and what effect they have to the player a bit better.

Art was great too, super clear but with plenty of character.

Great job overall
Thank you for your feedback - I appreciate honest feedback. I know what you're talking about with the stats and it not being clear.. I thought about this before and I started to create a dialog in the beginning of development to guide the player but honestly, it became more of hand holding at one point and I didn't like that. I'm continuously trying to figure out how it can be more clear to the player though without outright saying exactly what's happening.

Do you think a "help/tutorial" menu would be good?
ex. it would explain what weather conditions change about your temp and maybe basics of collecting items, etc?

JackTurbo

I don't think it needs a full tutorial but maybe tool tips on all of h different stats etc the first time you play it?

T

tiny547

I don't think it needs a full tutorial but maybe tool tips on all of h different stats etc the first time you play it?
You're right. I'll put that on the list of things to do. Thanks for the input. :)

JackTurbo

Saw this update on my phone so gave it another go. Got to 66.7 miles. I think you've got the base of a great simple game here. Art is nice, ui is solid.

Numbers around items spawns might need a small tweak.

Also you should allow the player to skip dialogue and stuff with a tap. By its nature you'll see the same events frequently in this style of game and the text especially with the slow typing effect get a bit annoying.

Also I think you should pause hunger/thirst etc when dialogue is active imho

T

tiny547

Saw this update on my phone so gave it another go. Got to 66.7 miles. I think you've got the base of a great simple game here. Art is nice, ui is solid.

Numbers around items spawns might need a small tweak.

Also you should allow the player to skip dialogue and stuff with a tap. By its nature you'll see the same events frequently in this style of game and the text especially with the slow typing effect get a bit annoying.

Also I think you should pause hunger/thirst etc when dialogue is active imho
The speeding up of the dialogue is a great suggestion. I'm going to actually implement that asap. I was just thinking about the slowness of them while testing the other day and I didn't even think about speeding them up. I saw it as a problem but couldn't problem solve it.You're right, especially with some of the events, they can be a little longer. A quick tap of the screen or something would perfect.

The collectibles will need some tweaking and it may take some time to really get it right. I'll also keep adding event to give the game more depth.

J

Jamblefoot

It took me a few playthroughs to figure out how to attempt to survive, and even then the farthest I've made it is 21.8 miles. It's tough and very Long Dark in spirit. It will definitely benefit from a wider variety of interactions, but I'm wondering how deep you intend to go with the systems (maintaining wounds to specific limbs, clothing, loot with bonuses, etc). I don't know if this will take away from the casualness of the game, but I know there are those who would appreciate it. That being said, it's a really great casual survival game.

A few specific points where I got frustrated or thought things could improve.
When I was hunting rabbits, the dialog popped up to tell me it was cold and I'd have to wait, and I instinctively tapped it to make it go away. When I did that, I somehow threw both my rocks. Maybe I'm just dumb, but it was annoying.
Low energy really cost my dude. His health plummeted. I tried to rest, but the effort of sitting at the campfire, replenishing other needs so that I might sleep without starving, did him in.
More sounds, but I know it's still in development.

That's all I can think of for now. Thanks for the game!

Oh, right, and my device is a Motorola Droid Turbo 2. Aspect ratio's looking good.

T

tiny547

It took me a few playthroughs to figure out how to attempt to survive, and even then the farthest I've made it is 21.8 miles. It's tough and very Long Dark in spirit. It will definitely benefit from a wider variety of interactions, but I'm wondering how deep you intend to go with the systems (maintaining wounds to specific limbs, clothing, loot with bonuses, etc). I don't know if this will take away from the casualness of the game, but I know there are those who would appreciate it. That being said, it's a really great casual survival game.

A few specific points where I got frustrated or thought things could improve.
When I was hunting rabbits, the dialog popped up to tell me it was cold and I'd have to wait, and I instinctively tapped it to make it go away. When I did that, I somehow threw both my rocks. Maybe I'm just dumb, but it was annoying.
Low energy really cost my dude. His health plummeted. I tried to rest, but the effort of sitting at the campfire, replenishing other needs so that I might sleep without starving, did him in.
More sounds, but I know it's still in development.

That's all I can think of for now. Thanks for the game!

Oh, right, and my device is a Motorola Droid Turbo 2. Aspect ratio's looking good.

Thank you for your feedback. I really do need to add some indicators to the clickable and non-clickable text boxes, I can see how that is easily misleading. I will continue to tweak the stat reduction as feedback comes in, hard to find that perfect balance in the early stages.

The game will remain casual and I'll add events as time goes on. I had a larger scope for the game in the beginning but then I picked up a contract job so I had to change so many features on it due to limited development time. This is going to be more of a concept, if people enjoy it, then maybe I'll spin something off it as a V2.

Again, thanks for your feedback!