• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!
  • Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Question - IDE Surface Pro 4 & zooming within workspace

L

leveller

The Surface Pro 3 & 4 have been excellent for me to use for GMS. Firstly a great laptop while out and about, secondly a good tablet and pen for designing/art. GMS 2 is really working out well for me and I'm enjoying learning the new UI.

I do not know if this behaviour is common amongst laptops, but ...

The touchpad zooming in/out on a workspace within GMS2 is very clunky and not accurate in the slightest. It's almost painful to try to zoom in and out accurately. I tried pinching to zoom in MS Edge browser and various other apps and they all work fine, so it seems that GMS 2 is not handling the touchpad zoom very well. Also there is currently no ability for pinch to zoom on the tablets' screen.

Ideally on a touch enabled screen I would like to pinch to zoom on the screen itself as this is the most accurate way of controlling apps over the small touchpad. Using a mouse is one solution for the mouse wheel, but not THE solution. Ideally the UI would use the systems' ability rather than demand extra hardware be needed.

Any thoughts?

The combination of SP and GMS has been a real breath of fresh air (quite literally when I'm out and about). A real joy to make games while on the move.

Hyomoto

It's most likely because GM2 isn't built as a UWP. I also use a Surface Tablet and GM is hardly the only program that doesn't like it. Hell, Chrome barely works with the touchpad gestures and the screen can be a nightmare without the pen. If a program isn't developed as a native UWP app it will be emulated as a desktop window. While this is a vast improvement over the bull that 8 had, it means that the app is still at the mercy of whatever Yoyo does with it and that means specific compatibility with touch screens. Considering it's a desktop app through and through, I'll be surprised if this comes up any time soon.

I'm only answering because you asked any thoughts, if they improve compatibility I'm not going to complain.