Superhighway - A pseudo racing game under development

w0rm

Hi,

I have been working on an off with this project for some time. Finally it starts to shape up to an actually playable game. Almost all basic things work already like hills, tunnels, parallax background effect etc.

There's no download yet though as I'm working to get the scaling working better with multiple resolutions. Also have a bunch of work to get additional graphics added and fine-tuning the AI for opponent cars.

Anyhow, here's a short video to showcase how it starting to look like.

Would very much appreciate comments whether you would see people playing a car šŸš˜ game like this. And especially what type of game play would make it great (e.g. tuning, a little bit of story line or would be better to keep it close to those classic racing games like Lotus on Amiga).

O.Stogden

Awesome to see another game like this.

I presume you already have, but you should check out Horizon Chase Turbo for ideas.

Tuning-wise, Top Gear 2 on the SNES had a decent system, you earn money for placing well (or collecting it on track) and you can select from basic level 1-4 upgrades from the shop in various categories such as Engine, Transmission and Turbo. Horizon Chase Turbo basically had a system where you have a choice of 3 upgrades at the end of events, but I prefer Top Gear's method of having money that you earn.

A basic storyline always helps a game, so maybe give a small amount of backstory and some "characters" you meet along the way perhaps, just a few lines of dialog every couple of races or something. Definitely I think you should at least have an outline of who the player(s) is and what their objective is.

Cruis'n USA for example, while not having a main character, had very definite progression, and you knew the aim was to travel from the West to East coast of the USA, it definitely helps the feel of progression and story there, even though there is technically no story. There is a map at the end of each race to show where in the USA you currently are, it was a smart addition I think to make you want to keep travelling.

w0rm

Super thanks for the comments!

I have been playing a bit Horizon Turbo. I would like to keep the driving feeling more arcade like.

I need to check Top Gear 2 upgrade system. Haven't been playing that as I never had SNES.

I'll try to release a simple demo version within the next week or two.

O.Stogden

Super thanks for the comments!

I have been playing a bit Horizon Turbo. I would like to keep the driving feeling more arcade like.

I need to check Top Gear 2 upgrade system. Haven't been playing that as I never had SNES.

I'll try to release a simple demo version within the next week or two.
Horizon Chase Turbo was based on the Top Gear and Lotus games, so it's a good one to check out. The composer for Top Gear and Lotus Turbo Challenge 2 is also the composer for Horizon Chase Turbo.

This song for example, appears on the Easter Island track in HCT (as an Easteregg I suppose), which is a remix of a song in Top Gear 1 on the SNES.

The original TG track:

B

bitwiseOperator

Yeah works fine as a framework. Agree on the 'story' -- what kind of car design you will be using, locations etc. is important.

w0rm

Hi all,

Updated game's engine with some additional graphics, other cars and road objects which can be collided with. Also enhanced player car graphics a bit by changing the car angle based on turn angle.

What you guys think about changing the other cars graphics based on the position as shown in the end of video? I think it works better than I was hoping...

Hoping to release a downloadable demo during next week or so.