Super Starlock [colorful action-adventure platformer]

T

tetherline

Super Starlock

What is this game?

Super Starlock is an action-adventure platformer about navigating through hostile environments laced with dangerous baddies and deadly hazards. Equipped with a secret power that allows you to manipulate enemies and launch them through space at high velocities, pummel your foes, create havoc, and surmount perilous obstacles in order to save the day!

The Slingshot Mechanic

*Collide Enemies With One Another

Imagine being able to suspend your foes in mid-air and hurl them through space in whichever direction you want? Would you make your enemies violently collide with one another? Or would you simply throw them off-stage for your amusement?

The slingshot mechanic is a really fun part of the game. It allows you to freeze enemies and launch them in any given trajectory. Not only can you launch enemies towards each other, you can also hurl them towards yourself and finish them off with style!

*Collide Enemies With Your Fist!

NOTE: The Art in this Version is Not Final

Stay Updated!

For development progress and other stuff like concept art, follow me @tetherlinegames

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
T

tetherline

Changelog 02/10/2018: Wall Jump, Slingshot, & Punching Added

List of changes:
  • You can now bounce off walls similar to Mario 3DS.
  • There is drag resistance when you're up against a wall.
  • You can now punch your enemies to death (which is always super fun).
  • A new Slingshot mechanic allows you to freeze your enemies and throw them in any direction.
  • Freezing" your enemies is instantaneous rather than waiting for a projectile to hit them.

I am completely in love with the new punching mechanics. They speed up or slow down if you're hitbox is colliding with the enemy. Also, I wanted to make sure that the wall jump felt right. I had to change the character's friction depending on whether or not he was in air, which makes for a sort of floaty/buttery feel when he's suspended. However, it feels like he has much more traction when his feet are on the floor. Overall, it feels really good.

Z

Zerone

This is looking really good so far, dude. Seems like it plays really fluidly.

Jase217

This looks well done, the animation and art of the main character looks nice and smooth which is great. The slingshot mechanic is interesting too with lots of possibilities. Nice work!

T

tetherline

This looks well done, the animation and art of the main character looks nice and smooth which is great. The slingshot mechanic is interesting too with lots of possibilities. Nice work!
I'm so glad you think so man. I'm trying to build on top of the slingshot mechanic, and I've got a few ideas, but I want to make sure that the game doesn't get needlessly complicated. I do intend to make this a pretty clutch platformer after all.

T

tetherline

Update 02/17/2018 - Enemy Concept Art & Information, New "Sticky" Enemy

I'm playing around with the idea that there should be a "base" (or grunt-like) enemy type. I'm pretty happy with this design. Anyway, I want there to be different kinds of "knights" or "soldiers" that possess different kinds of abilities depending on their color: some shoot arrows at you, others throw bombs, etc...

Design Updates

List of Updates
  • Stick enemies that cling to walls
  • Slingshot Meter implemented (it must recharge after use)
  • One-way platforms glitches fixed (enemy would sometimes fall through them)

Make sure you follow me on Twitter. I tend to post art and other goodies frequently. Thanks!

R

Red_Wing

This looks great. I'm a sucker for action platformers, and the slingshot mechanic gives it a neat twist. I can see myself getting into this

A

Alex_Beach

I love the slingshot mechanic, but why limit it to just enemies? It could be used for platforms or other objects to throw at enemies. (You could use it to stop laser shots coming at you, then redirect them like Kylo Ren) I feel like it's such a great mechanic that makes your game unique, and I think you should add to it.

T

tetherline

@Alex_Beach - My friend, all the things you are saying... so much yes! We literally have the same ideas. That's exactly what I'm in the process of working out. (I even thought about the Kylo Ren thing.)