Super Rufio Bros

M

Matt Hawkins

I've started working on a bootleg of the popular Super Mario Bros game.
My goal is to capture the feel of the original game but change all the artwork so Nintendo doesn't come after me.
So far I have the gameplay just about spot on.
The gameplay is entirely physics based using the Box2d code.
The resolution is exactly the same as the original except wider depending on your monitor.
I used a custom view code so the scrolling is incredibly smooth with absolutely so jitter

The controlls for windows is WSAD based
A = move left
D = move right
W = jump

Last edited:
M

Matt Hawkins

Call it the "Special Morio Twins". That sounds more bootleggy ;)
The controls feel good so far! please no installer for WIPs. use single exe.
Special Morio Twins... I like that. My original working title was "Super Moustache Man" but my friend Rufio inspired me with his name because it sounds like Mario.
I did try to make a stand alone executable but it still came out as an installer for some reason. I apologize I know people prefer not to have to install things. I'll try again tomorrow to make a stand alone exe.
Anyway I thank you for your input and for trying out my dirty boot leg, it is greatly appreciated :)

M

Matt Hawkins

I've been hard at work on my bootleg Mario game "Super Rufio Bros"
Since my first post I have customised 99% of the art, added destroyable brick blocks, multi coin brick blocks and question blocks with a coin inside.
I've also added goombas that can be stomped on, hit from below a brick, or shot with a fireball.

Everything besides the static coins are physics objects that utilize the box2d physics engine.

The controlls for windows is WSAD based
A = Move Left
D = Move Right
W = Jump
F = Shoot Fireball

Last edited:

RangerX

By the way, my Avira recognised your file as a "TR Dropper" behavior. I had to unquarantine it to play. (just so you know).
You've been pretty good at reproducing the SMB physics there's. I feel there's more in-air control though, very slight different in certain velocities but its pretty nice.
Interesting tidbits: Start the game and immediately press right and jump. Hold it forever and you'll complete the first level without dying. :p

M

Matt Hawkins

By the way, my Avira recognised your file as a "TR Dropper" behavior. I had to unquarantine it to play. (just so you know).
You've been pretty good at reproducing the SMB physics there's. I feel there's more in-air control though, very slight different in certain velocities but its pretty nice.
Interesting tidbits: Start the game and immediately press right and jump. Hold it forever and you'll complete the first level without dying. :p
Thanks for your feedback RangerX, I'm not sure why Avira would recognize my game as a TR Dropper. If anyone knows please let us know.[edit/ I uploaded my exe to totalvirus and it detected
TR/Dropper.Gen/ TrojanDownloader.AutoIt.avn / static engine - malicious so i've removed my links.
I will have to scan my PC :(

I wasn't aware that you could glitch though the first level too, i better fix that XD. I have thought about slowing down the acceleration while in the air though, I dont know if
I will though as this game is aimed at mobile devices so I want to make the game fairly easy to control.
Thanks again for your feed back much appreciated :)

Last edited:
Z

zendraw

you shuld add a section/scene where theres a bed and he can sleep on it, and after a while gets killed by a dark brotherhood member.

F

FROGANUS

cool, i dig the reskinned pics!
like last week I did some box2d research and made my first physics-enabled test project..
so i'm nub, but wouldn't box2d physics be too 'floaty' and unpredictable?
I thought classic mario was more basic and rigid gravity and motion.
(not that i would necessarily advocate for 'absolute emulation' either..)

M

Matt Hawkins

cool, i dig the reskinned pics!
like last week I did some box2d research and made my first physics-enabled test project..
so i'm nub, but wouldn't box2d physics be too 'floaty' and unpredictable?
I thought classic mario was more basic and rigid gravity and motion.
(not that i would necessarily advocate for 'absolute emulation' either..)
Thanks man i've put a bit of work into making original sprites, however I'm not very good at art so I used a screen shot from family guy as the first background, and i found the cave background on a site called pixeljoint.com.
There are a lot of variables and tools available in the Box2d engine that you can tweak to get things working properly in a predictable way. I personally find it easier to make things in Box2d because it requires less coding and i'm pretty terrible at math :)

F

FROGANUS

yeah i plan to dig deeper into the box2d controls. the more i learn, i'm tempted to totally re-do stuff in my project, but i'm rather saving that approach for next time (and meantime toying with my little box2d ballpit test).

about the imagery, i don't know if you mean you're redoing backgrounds but those 2 you used look nice..
and my personal perspective on 'art' is, everything's fair game- if you're using other people's imagery or sounds or resources, you put it into your own context and it's new. artistic skills can be like dj skills, just tastefully putting things together is definitely its own art. that said, i don't blame developers being paranoid about copyright/defamation as the digital medium is much more traceable than say, a painting or.. collage.. its interesting territory, the realm of 'bootlegging'..

at any rate, curious about the game, will stay tuned!

M

Matt Hawkins

Hey friends
So I've been toiling away with my bootleg Mario game "Super Rufio Bros". My friend suggested that I add a flying kick move so I've put that in, and it has added a lot to the game play. The flying kick acts like an air dash and it can break bricks and kill enemies. It is also used to defeat the first boss by kicking him in the face xd.
The flying kick is a power up that can be found in the ? blocks and is activated by pressing the F key. It has unlimited use but you must touch the ground with your feet before each use.

So far There are 4 playable levels, the third level being a boss level.
You can download the Android .apk HERE
You can download the Single Runtime Executable for Windows HERE

The controls for windows is WSAD based
A = Move Left
D = Move Right
W = Jump
F = Shoot Fireball / Flying Kick

*Or you can use the arrow keys and spacebar/ keypad 0 for powerups

Last edited:
M

Matt Hawkins

You did well getting it to feel like Mario. Any chance of having the arrow keys control movement as well as WASD?
Hey Geoff thanks heaps for checking out my WIP :) I added arrow key controls and mapped the power up to spacebar and keypad 0 and updated the download link.

M

Matt Hawkins

My first thoughts when I saw the title...

But seriously dude this is looking pretty cool! The addition of an air dash is a nice idea.
Lols I haven't seen that movie in donkey's years :) Thanks for your kind feedback. I've put a lot of work into this project and i plan on seeing it through till it's complete.
The Rufio character in my game is based on a playstation network friend of mine who calls himself Rufio, although that's not his real name. Come to think of it I never asked him why he calls himself Rufio xd.
Anyway here is a pixel art rendition of my friend Rufio

When you say "feel of the original game", are you talking in terms of gameplay features and style, or actual player control? If the latter, it feels nothing like the original game. It does feel nice, though.

M

Matt Hawkins

When you say "feel of the original game", are you talking in terms of gameplay features and style, or actual player control? If the latter, it feels nothing like the original game. It does feel nice, though.
When i first started making this I was aiming to clone the feel of the original Super Mario game, but it has kind of evolved into its own thing. I'm pretty happy with the mechanics so far though. I think it's important for a game to feel good to control and I think I have achieved that so hopefully that will make my game successful.
There are quite a few Mario clones on the google play store and while they look nice, they play like they've had very little effort put into the actual game play.
Anyway thanks heaps for trying my game out and for your feedback :)

M

Matt Hawkins

Good backgrounds you got there.

The game needs some nice music.
Thanks Melerski, the background in the first level is a screenshot from family guy, and pretty much the rest are assets i purchased from a website called 123rf.com.
Unfortunately my artistic skills are limited so drawing my own backgrounds is not really a good idea.
I will add music soon too. I plan on buying some 16 bit style tracks from playonloop.com.
At the moment I'm focusing on creating assets to build my levels with and making new levels. So far I have 8 levels but I would like to have about 50+ levels total.
This week I have made one way platforms, falling platforms, a bomb power up that can destroy surrounding bricks, and saw blade hazards that move back and forth along a vertical or horizontal rail. Anyway thanks for checking out my game and commenting. Much appreciated :)

M

Matt Hawkins

Hello comrades, today I am typing with Russian accent.
I make video of game for honor of my friend Rufio.
Later I hunt bear with Kalashnikov and celebrate will barrel fire and vodka.

M

Matt Hawkins

The Great Giana Sisters music from the C64! :D
That's a great track isn't it. I'm just using it as a placeholder atm though because it's copyrighted, or at least i think it is.
When I have the money I'm going to buy some 8-bit /16-bit musics from playonloop.com :)