Suggestions on keeping instances in their current states.

flyinian

I am making a system that places the instances in a room once clicked either true or false. However, I ran into an issue where once I leave the room it resets the room back to its initial state. which means that the instances have been reset. I discovered that I can use the persistent room check box in the room which fixes my issue. I read in the manual and it said that persistent rooms uses more memory. Is this something I should be concerned about or is the extra memory use so low that its not a big deal? Could I disable certain instances in said to room to free some of that memory?

kburkhart84

Firehammer Games
If its me...I avoid messing with persistent rooms. It isn't so much the memory(all though that is a factor). Its just that everywhere I've seen discussion about it, the opinion is that its really not worth the hassle of getting it to work since it is supposedly pretty glitchy, and is much easier to just use some global variables(or persistent objects) to store values. Also, if its a thing you need to store in a file(like game settings), you are already part of the way there when you use variables to store your state. That said, I haven't actually tested it myself so you could consider what I say as rumor/hearsay.

flyinian

If its me...I avoid messing with persistent rooms. It isn't so much the memory(all though that is a factor). Its just that everywhere I've seen discussion about it, the opinion is that its really not worth the hassle of getting it to work since it is supposedly pretty glitchy, and is much easier to just use some global variables(or persistent objects) to store values. Also, if its a thing you need to store in a file(like game settings), you are already part of the way there when you use variables to store your state. That said, I haven't actually tested it myself so you could consider what I say as rumor/hearsay.
Thank you. I think you just helped me solve an issue I was facing. I was trying to figure out how to store and update constantly changing variables in a room after you activate it. I.e. global/local variables in a persistent object at room initialization.