Suggestions about design: gloomy or cheerful

Discussion in 'Game Design, Development And Publishing' started by snowstorm, Jan 29, 2019.

1. snowstorm

snowstorm Member

Need your advice about survival game.
    On the one hand, games of this genre usually have gloomy atmosphere and I am fed up with that sometimes.
    On the other hand, Fallout Shelter is more cheerful and that is unrealistic.
    So I am asking, what design for survival game would you choose: gloomy or cheerful?

2. deem93

deem93 Member

Fallout Shelter is trying to be ironically cheerful

Last edited: Jan 29, 2019
    Gradius and Niels like this.
  3. Niels

Niels Member

I think a "balanced" atmosphere is what you want.
    Fallout is very sarcastic, pairing gore and violence with a overly optimistic world view (taken from the 50-60's US instruction movies for nuclear attacks and other devastating disasters).
    The witcher 3 does a similair thing, by pairing a despressing and oppresive world with funny sequences and dark humor.
    "We happy few" tried to take this concept to the extreme, but mostly failed on the gameplay side of things.

A save way to go is by having a despressing world and write in some funny side-character/dialogue/notes to balance it out.

4. Aajowa

Aajowa Member

Cheerful! Who doesn't want to smash a smiley cartoon zombie and/or pop a balloon animal with a novelty oversized pin before it can nudge you!

But also personally I like natural GUIs and graphics more than either. I guess that's gloomy, but not doomy gloomy?

Siolfor the Jackal likes this.
  5. 11clock

11clock Member

I usually gravitate towards cheerful games, like most Nintendo games. I find gloomy to be just overall depressing and uninteresting/boring.

6. Siolfor the Jackal

Siolfor the Jackal Member

You'll definitely stand out a little more if your survival game is more on the cheerful side, I'd personally be a bit more interested if it was done right.

7. WarpDogsVG

WarpDogsVG Member

How a creative work is received is largely dependent on what's going on around them, and I think these days that means cheerful games tend to stick out more

I would steer away from 'ironic' or 'but with a dark side~~' cheerfulness as that feels pretty overplayed in the survival genre.