• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!
  • Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Question - IDE Suggestion: Using "alt" key with autotiling.

Schwee

I mentioned this in another post but I figured I'd make it it's own thread so the idea can really get noticed! It would be fantastic to have the option to create a second variation of a tileset for auto tilling. So while holding down the alt key, your autotiling uses tiles from the alternate set.

I want this feature particularly for being able to switch between hard corners and diagonals. Right now I have to create a second autotile set and the transition between the two is not clean enough. This feature could also be very useful for breaking up the monotany as well!

While we're on the topic, you could push this idea even further by adding a randomization element to autotiling. Perhaps your main tile has 3 alt versions connected to it, and you're able to choose how often the alt tiles get used. ie. 1 out of 3 tiles uses altA, 1 out of 5 uses altB, etc.

Thoughts?

csanyk

I've seen GMS1 projects with autotiling scripts that used some minor randomiztion to spice up the tile map and keep it from getting too regular and boring. It's not a bad idea. I'd expect YYG to deny this as a feature request, preferring to focus on other priorities, and encourage you to code your own solution. I do really like the alt-tile idea, and I think it would be good if YYG implemented that idea.

Tile randomisation has already been suggested and added to our list.
Nice! That'll help a lot when working with larger resolution pixel art. It's hard to keep scenes from looking repetitive without random detail tiles, so this will save time. It'd be great if we could set the chances of a tile appearing, too. Stuff like flowers in a field or cracks in a stone floor shouldnt show up as much as the main tiles, afterall.

Mike

nobody important
GMC Elder
It'll probably be somethng like animations, just list a stack of tiles you want to include in the list. "chance" would then be a simple matter of repeating tiles you want to have a greater chance. Or something like that. Keeps the UI really simple. I don't fancy having options for each tile where you specify % or something, that'd be nasty.

It'll probably be somethng like animations, just list a stack of tiles you want to include in the list. "chance" would then be a simple matter of repeating tiles you want to have a greater chance. Or something like that. Keeps the UI really simple. I don't fancy having options for each tile where you specify % or something, that'd be nasty.
Yeah, I was thinking the GUI might be messy for that, too. The solution you mentioned is actually really elegant. I'd be more than happy with that!