• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!
  • Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Suggestion: Show Script/Object Descriptions in Resources Tree

matharoo

manualman
GameMaker Dev.
Not something I really need, but it would be kind of helpful. I'm fine if YYG doesn't want to consider this, I'm not expecting that - I just want to put this idea out there.

You know how we can add @descriptions to scripts and object events? I was thinking that it could be sort of helpful if we could show that description in the resource tree (for objects, the @description from the Create event could show up).

suggestion_0.png

Or, to reduce the clutter, it could only draw on mouse hover.

suggestion_1.png

So, just an idea. What are your thoughts on this?

Edit: I've submitted a feature request from the bug report page.

Last edited:

JeffJ

I could see this as a useful little UI/UX thing, definitely. However, if this was to be implemented, I'd definitely want it to be an on/off toggle. In that case, maybe it could even have three different settings, like:

1: Off
2: On (Show in resource tree)
3: On (Show on mouse over)

matharoo

manualman
GameMaker Dev.
I could see this as a useful little UI/UX thing, definitely. However, if this was to be implemented, I'd definitely want it to be an on/off toggle. In that case, maybe it could even have three different settings, like:

1: Off
2: On (Show in resource tree)
3: On (Show on mouse over)
Yeah, that would be great.

I'll submit a feature request on the bug report page.