• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!
  • Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

[Suggestion] QoL improvements for script editing

Gradius

As much as I like the new editor, there are still some annoying oversights with the workflow, and not all of them seem like they be at all difficult changes, so here are a few:

A. Renaming scripts is a tiny bit awkward if you don't know/use the F2 shortcut
It'd be nice to be able to double/single click the script name to rename. The old GM clearly editable textbox was very straightforward in this respect.

B. New scripts don't include the JSDOC template header
This is a minor annoyance, but if you don't remember the syntax (or can't be bothered typing it all out) it currently requires you to copy and paste it either from another script or the help page. It isn't even part of the (admittedly customisable) code snippets. Seems like it'd be easier in most cases to remove what you don't need than to add it from scratch each time.
The help document also insinuates that @function is required information. Unless you want an alternative alias for the script there's absolutely no reason to include it as the script name and @params already give all needed information and @function has no influence on auto-complete. It'd be nice if the help doc was clearer that, while it may be necessary in other languages, it is completely optional in GMS2.

C. The code snippets file is a bit of a pain to navigate to. It'd be nice if there was an IDE option to open the file.

D. It'd be nice to have code snippets in the right click menu as well, for those that dislike or struggle to remember keyboard shortcuts.

E. An option to fold curly braces so we can collapse if/while/for/repeat statements would be amazing and has been a feature I've always missed in GM. Setting up Regions creates much the same effect but requires time dedicated to setting them up. Almost every stand alone code editor includes this by standard.

gnysek

As much as I like the new editor, there are still some annoying oversights with the workflow, and not all of them seem like they be at all difficult changes, so here are a few:
A. Renaming scripts is a tiny bit awkward if you don't know/use the F2 shortcut
It'd be nice to be able to double/single click the script name to rename. The old GM clearly editable textbox was very straightforward in this respect..
Just double-click slower :)

Gradius

Ah, well.. that wasn't at all obvious :X

I'm still going to maintain that the system is really opaque to inexperienced users if, when trying to double-click the bar to rename it, I can't work it out without outside advice. That kind of behaviour should be immediately intuitive.

gnysek

There's fast double click and slow double click in GMS2. You can set their times in preferences.