• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!
  • Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Windows Suggestion: Preserve Workspace Conditions

M

Major Cooke

It's extremely disruptive whenever I open my project up to find that all of my windows have been shoved down because the Parent menu always opens up each and every time it's loaded.

I would like to request that objects, when loaded, only open the Parent box if it was saved that way. It's frustrating when I have everything stacked on top of each other in a nice neat column, closely knit, and then bam. After saving and coming back to it, it's all pushed way far apart because that bloody parent menu opens up.

csanyk

I could generalize this more broadly, that the way the project is displayed in the IDE should be persistent project metadata that is stored with the project. I would like to be able to define a workspace and have the project remember it, so that if I close a workspace that I have set up, I can go back and re-open it later.

FrostyCat

Redemption Seeker
If this is to be implemented, it must be completely separated from the resource tree in a way that Git and SVN can safely ignore it.

In the early days of GMS 1.x, developers at YoYo took your advice and saved workspace states into the project. They wrote display filters for rooms and local file paths for sounds right into the files. You'd think that's doing users a favour, but the end result was complete incompatibility with source control because files were being changed simply by being looked at. Anything but helpful for anyone past the total rookie stage.

csanyk

If this is to be implemented, it must be completely separated from the resource tree in a way that Git and SVN can safely ignore it.

In the early days of GMS 1.x, developers at YoYo took your advice and saved workspace states into the project. They wrote display filters for rooms and local file paths for sounds right into the files. You'd think that's doing users a favour, but the end result was complete incompatibility with source control because files were being changed simply by being looked at. Anything but helpful for anyone past the total rookie stage.
Agreed, but it is do-able. The project preferences could be stored in the %appdata% directory, apart from the actual project itself, as a per-project preference for GMS2's preferences, for example.

Y

Yazuka

Have you tried using Layouts? Within the menu bar you can save the projects layout into an XML file which you can then upload with your .YYZ to your Dropbox etc and when you pull your game down you can load this in and it will load the projects layout exactly as it was left.

By default when you close the IDE it will save the projects layout and load it on startup so if you're not seeing this working as intended then you should file a bug report with your projects YYZ aswell as the project layout XML file.

M

Major Cooke

The point is not having to do this every single time. People can be forgetful and the end result can still become a catastrophic mess if a lot of things are stacked one after another.