• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

[SUGGESTION] Planning to buy a domain for website

Hello!

I'm using game maker for a long time and grew in the recent years and I'm now planning to start my own website, a simple website in which I can upload my Portfolio, my in-house production (Html5 games) and can manage online high scores etc of some games (win/mobile), get some custom email. Maybe a simple shop to sell game arts (the last one have less priority) etc!

From this I can make a decent money via ads when playing games, or visiting the site!

I have also read the book "Making money with Html5" and it has provided me some good website hosting alternatives and I like some like bluehost.com which have an offer of
$5.99/month with the prime feature for 3 years!
So I want some suggestion from you guys what else sites I can try and also if this site is good for me! Will it full
Fill my requirement etc!

Guide me :)

Thanks for your time!

Posh Indie

That Guy
Sorry for a less informative response than you are looking for.

"Making money with HTML5", is that @True Valhalla's (Just checking my memory here! Have not seen the title in years, haha)?

Either way, for HTML5 I would recommend trying to reach out to him. I am not sure how the HTML5 market is anymore, and I kind of see that market as a "You should have been in there years ago to do well". I could be wrong though, I have not done much in that space.

Sorry for a less informative response than you are looking for.

"Making money with HTML5", is that @True Valhalla's (Just checking my memory here! Have not seen the title in years, haha)?

Either way, for HTML5 I would recommend trying to reach out to him. I am not sure how the HTML5 market is anymore, and I kind of see that market as a "You should have been in there years ago to do well". I could be wrong though, I have not done much in that space.
Yes! It's the same book! Yes, it's less mentioned here in this new forum it was very popular In gmc in past years!
Btw thanks for the suggestion :)

H

Homunculus

Any reliable hosting service that provides php and a mysql database is probably good enough, if your plan is simply a personal website with html5 games and maybe a small ecommerce platform.

I think that's the least of your concerns when making a personal website, I'd spend more time on making it good than searching for the cheapest host.

That being said, I generally work with hosting platforms residing in my home country, but also had some experience with dreamhost, and I'm more than happy with the service they provide with the shared hosting plans.

I know of a free web hosting service you'll probably be interested in. I used to use it for Starblast Alpha before I transferred it over to Gamejolt. It's really simple, even lets you transfer the games files to the site itself so there's no junky ads crowding it up. I think it even has a way to where you can hook up your account and start earning money that way, I've never used it before though so you'll have to figure it out yourself. My school used it for blogs and stuff so it's pretty reliable imo.

Posh Indie

That Guy
Any reliable hosting service that provides php and a mysql database is probably good enough, if your plan is simply a personal website with html5 games and maybe a small ecommerce platform.

I think that's the least of your concerns when making a personal website, I'd spend more time on making it good than searching for the cheapest host.

That being said, I generally work with hosting platforms residing in my home country, but also had some experience with dreamhost, and I'm more than happy with the service they provide with the shared hosting plans.
Actually, I do have something to add here now that Dreamhost was brought up. A hidden feature of Dreamhost is that they do not care if you host an online game directly through them (As in, you could use it as a backend server for a game with no actual web hosting purposes) or use it as a file server (User made game content, for instance). They will make you upgrade off of shared hosting if you take up too many resources, though, for this purpose.

I actually talked to them directly about this. It is not always a necessity, but nice to know they will not kill your service if you decide to use it in that way.

H

Homunculus

@Posh Indie true, and it's also worth noting that you get ssh access even with a shared host, something that's generally reserved for virtual machines. You are a bit limited obviously in this sense, but I was able to release a couple of simple ruby on rails apps in there using this feature, which is amazing imho

C

Cowlord

I use Arvixe for this purpose, slightly more expensive than bluehost but they offer more flexible payment options. As for making money on HTML5, I switched up to HTML5 being my target platform after a friend released on kongregate and was making more per day than the entire 6 months prior released on android combined. And there are a dozen or more other game publishing websites to port to after that. He is still working on releasing to Newgrounds, Facebook, Chrome Web Store, Armor Games which can all get you millions of MAU each, and there are half a dozen or so other sites after that where even the worst among them gets you 10-14k MAU.

Edit: Once you build up a following you can get people to go straight to your own site with your own payment system where you get 97% cut vs. 50-75%; hopefully kick the final middle-man, PayPal to the curb for cryptocurrency. I'm optomistic about indie dev scene continuing to grow and that brings power and that's when you get paid the full amount for your art instead of being forced to deal with a guy that shuffles made up numbers around on a computer for you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Rob

Rob

I use Arvixe for this purpose, slightly more expensive than bluehost but they offer more flexible payment options. As for making money on HTML5, I switched up to HTML5 being my target platform after a friend released on kongregate and was making more per day than the entire 6 months prior released on android combined. And there are a dozen or more other game publishing websites to port to after that. He is still working on releasing to Newgrounds, Facebook, Chrome Web Store, Armor Games which can all get you millions of MAU each, and there are half a dozen or so other sites after that where even the worst among them gets you 10-14k MAU.

Edit: Once you build up a following you can get people to go straight to your own site with your own payment system where you get 97% cut vs. 50-75%; hopefully kick the final middle-man, PayPal to the curb for cryptocurrency. I'm optomistic about indie dev scene continuing to grow and that brings power and that's when you get paid the full amount for your art instead of being forced to deal with a guy that shuffles made up numbers around on a computer for you.
What does MAU stand for?

Pfap

What does MAU stand for?
Monthly average users.

It all seems to be like a process... of fame. Maybe, notoriety is a better term... if you build quality stuff and get a fanbase you should do fine. An acting coach I once knew said focus on getting 10 "fans"... like 10 crazy fans and more will come... you just need 10.

Edit: To answer the question, I don't have a lot of experience, but you could always just register a name and then host it yourself.

Last edited: