• Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

[suggestion] Out with gml_pragma

GMWolf

aka fel666
gml_prgama always seemed like an odd choice of syntax to me. It looks like a runtime funciton but isnt.

I propose that it gets replaces with more synctax like # macro:

replace:
gml_pragma("forceinline") with #forceinline

gml_pragma("global", "some code") with #global some code

I think this will make these types of compile time directives a lot clearer.
Especially whith "global", where currently the code must be written in a string. Something im sure we all agree is less than ideal.

I believe that now would be the right time to make the change before too much is added onto gml_pragma and making the switch become virtually impossible.

xDGameStudios

GameMaker Staff
GameMaker Dev.
gml_prgama always seemed like an odd choice of syntax to me. It looks like a runtime funciton but isnt.

I propose that it gets replaces with more synctax like # macro:

replace:
gml_pragma("forceinline") with #forceinline

gml_pragma("global", "some code") with #global some code

I think this will make these types of compile time directives a lot clearer.
Especially whith "global", where currently the code must be written in a string. Something im sure we all agree is less than ideal.

I believe that now would be the right time to make the change before too much is added onto gml_pragma and making the switch become virtually impossible.
This makes a lot of sense! It's cleaner for sure, and gml_pragma() gets confused with a function.

Last edited: