• Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Suggestion: object from sprite funtcion

A

Anomaly

I've looked around and am missing where to put technical suggestions so i posted here.
Mods please move this to where it should be if it's not here thanks.

I was wondering if there exists, or if not .. if this could be implemented?

Simply put, a drop down function or keyboard shortcut to take a selected sprite.. and just make an object out of it?

instead of making a sprite.. then scrolling down and do make object then selecting the sprite many multiple times...

just pop.. a new object is created with the sprite selected. object name could be a preference determined prefix then the sprite name or omit the commonly used spr_ prefix replaced with o_ or obj_

(sprites could also be auto named spr_[filename]!)

this also could be a button on the sprite's properties window.

it's simple and would save people alot of time.

Yal

šŸ§ *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
The opposite (create a new sprite for an object) has been a feature since the GM6 days... objects almost always use more than one sprite (since you're meant to use 1 sprite per animation) so creating objects from sprites feels like doing things the wrong way. Objects are more important, so they should be made first. Or something like that.

A

Anomaly

i think an in- IDE browser would be cool that let you use a drop down menu optoin to instantly make a sprite from a graphic file...
in addition to that..
a drop down menu option that makes an object out of the sprite that gets created.
skipping tons of steps.
after i spend days making many art assets that are going to be objects.. i have to spend a good amount of time going through the steps hundreds of times.

also the majority of my objects have only one sprite frame.

andev

object name could be a preference determined prefix then the sprite name or omit the commonly used spr_ prefix replaced with o_ or obj_
(sprites could also be auto named spr_[filename]!)
This in itself is a good idea imo

gnysek

Create Object > Create sprite from it's buttons - and you get exactly same feature with exactly same number of clicks.