• Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

[Suggestion] Mouse Control in the User Interface

Avyrra

I love that I can zoom and pan in the workspace now, however after messing around for quite a while now, I often find that I cannot do either with the mouse wheel so long as the cursor is within a window. In fact (although you kinda have to put some effort into it), it's entirely possible to have a single window take up the whole workspace.

It'd be wonderful if we could get an option to change how the mouse wheel works so that ctrl+mousewheel will zoom the workspace 100% of the time and the middle mouse button will pan 100% of the time rather than working like another left click.

I love that I can zoom and pan in the workspace now, however after messing around for quite a while now, I often find that I cannot do either with the mouse wheel so long as the cursor is within a window. In fact (although you kinda have to put some effort into it), it's entirely possible to have a single window take up the whole workspace.

It'd be wonderful if we could get an option to change how the mouse wheel works so that ctrl+mousewheel will zoom the workspace 100% of the time and the middle mouse button will pan 100% of the time rather than working like another left click.
I've been running into this as well. Something like holding Alt to navigate workspace would be nice.

I've been running into this as well. Something like holding Alt to navigate workspace would be nice.
You can, actually. But only for laptops. When I run GMS2 on my laptop I can enable laptop mode with an extra button next to "Expand/collapse dock panels". Then you can navigate the workspace by holding Alt and moving the mouse and zoom by holding Shift. I'm not sure if this can be enabled on desktops but I looked around in the properties and didn't find anything.

DeScruff

You can, actually. But only for laptops. When I run GMS2 on my laptop I can enable laptop mode with an extra button next to "Expand/collapse dock panels". Then you can navigate the workspace by holding Alt and moving the mouse and zoom by holding Shift. I'm not sure if this can be enabled on desktops but I looked around in the properties and didn't find anything.
Huh. Thats weird that there is a a mode that you can't see/activate if your not on a laptop. I'm curious how it detects if your on a laptop because I can see some issues cropping up with weird hardware configs.
Im gonna have to test this with a Windows Virtual machine that I share between my desktop and laptop. Also I dunno how common this is, but I often use Teamviewer or similar remote desktop software if I wanna work on something, in a different room then my desktop. I doubt the Laptop detection will see that... - My computer room just gets too warm in the summer :p.

You can, actually. But only for laptops.
That's a silly decision. I dislike using the MMB. I want to scroll with Alt-LMB. Why is this option only available for laptop users? Why isn't there a section in Preferences for "Accessibility"? They can call it something like "Use Alt+LMB to navigate workspace" instead of the ambiguous "Laptop mode". That way, even people with laptops can choose what kind of optimizations they want to use.

Mike

nobody important
GMC Elder
You can use SPACE+LMB to pan around. This is pretty standard on art packages so was added. MMB however will allow you (when we finally add it) to allow panning while in the code editor etc.