• Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Discussion Suggestion. Make Certain Resource types open in Special Re-Named Workspaces

MilesThatch

Ok, a very simple idea.
Example: If I double click on a Work-space tab to rename it and I call it @Sprites then any sprite resource I double click on or pull from the CTRL+T tab will open in the @Sprites works-pace.

Reason why this might be useful:
1. Multi-monitor setup and streamlining the development. Currently I'm on a dual monitor setup. One that constantly keeps the room editor open and second one for all other edits. But my graphics card can run up to 4 and the number of local pawn shops or hobo-marts carry $20 small res monitors. On 4 displays, this will greatly help with auto organizing and speedy development. 1st monitor runs the room editor, 2nd runs objects and code, 3rd runs sprites etc. Anything to eliminate switching between tabs

2. Right now it seems that, at times, the double clicked resource will open up in god knows what work-space or even create its own new one. Most of the time if it creates a new one, it does so on top of my room editor (which I now need to move to the 2nd monitor to reveal the room editor again). So if streamlining the development process is a point of concern (which the current new feature set seem to indicate) auto organizing using tags in the workspace names will help.

3. Using the @ or some other symbol guarantees that there will not be any conflicts with what people titles their workspace layouts (for those who know that you can re-name tabs)

4. If people don't like it and don't want things popping up in certain work-spaces then simply no re-naming the work-spaces with a special character will prevent that from happening.

Technically if I ctrl+t in a specific workspace or drag and drop a resource into a workspace, it will open in that workspace. I'm just talking about double clicking on the resource in the resource tree. Your focus is not always in a certain workspace, quite a bit of time is spent in the resource tree (almost instinctively from 1.4) since importing and dealing with new content is a good chunk of time spent. And I see you've already put a bit of thought into the resource tree with the views feature and I thank you for that.

It's a small and seemingly trivial feature but my intuition says the way resources are programmed to open right now, making a small loop to go through all the available workspaces and check if anyone of them is re-named to @Sprites or @Objects won't be too hard...

I'm not a fan of workspaces but I'm slowly getting used to them and I have to say that things popping and taking focus away from the room editor definitely irritate me.

Last edited:

MilesThatch

Juuuust keeping this option up there. I'm starting to really miss this feature. Its just a quick frustration saver, having resources open in their designated workspaces instead having everty objects or sprite you click create their own work-space. Again, not saying to over-write the current way it's handled but just make it so that if I rename a workspace to "Sprites" then all the sprites I open from this point on would open in this workspace instead of creating a new one.

Mike

nobody important
GMC Elder
Its not really on our list...buuuuut. Why cant you just open another resource tree and dock it to the other desktop? Anything opened from that one would open on that desktop.

MilesThatch

Its not really on our list...buuuuut. Why cant you just open another resource tree and dock it to the other desktop? Anything opened from that one would open on that desktop.
Didn't notice this response.
Sometimes I have resources not behaving this way. Like if I were to have a workspace with sprites, and close all the sprites, next time I try to open a sprite, it will create a new work-space regardless. In fact It may still do so when I already have a workspace with sprites open on the second desktop.