• Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Suggestion: Default Sound Settings

WangleLine

Heya!

Whenever I develop games with GMS2, I always run into the same little annoying workflow bottleneck.
For every single sound that I import into gamemaker, I have to manually change the bitrate and mode (mono, stereo, 3D).
I've seen that things like sprite assets have gotten default settings in GMS2's preferences, and I think it would be incredibly nice to have something similar for audio files.

Have a good day~

Alice

Darts addict
Forum Staff
If you haven't already, I suggest sending a feature request to YYG (make sure you're logged in, or else feature request option won't be available).
At the very least, that's the recommended course of action YYG staff mentioned on various occasions when people suggested some new functionality or tweaks to existing one (especially in the Winter Q&A thread).

kburkhart84

Firehammer Games
Indeed, sounds are the kind of thing I think you could set up multiple "configurations" for. I know it exists in other engines. You could have multiple "things" a sound should be(music, sound effect, GUI). Then you could have groups of settings that change based on either the configuration or the platform(or both). This would let you get automatic settings that apply once you just tell the IDE if the audio is music or a sound effect. AND it would let those settings change automatically as needed(for example, HTML5/mobile having lower bit rates).

Couldn’t you just make a template sound asset, duplicate that, and import the sound file to the duplicate? Or does that reset the settings?

kburkhart84

Firehammer Games
Couldn’t you just make a template sound asset, duplicate that, and import the sound file to the duplicate? Or does that reset the settings?
I don't know, I don't think it resets the settings. This is still just a workaround for a missing feature though(albeit not really that hacky or anything).

rIKmAN

It's not a proper fix to your issue and I think your suggestion would be a good one, but I had to deal with a few hundred sounds in an old project and had a similar issue.

My solution/workaround was to import them all and then use the "Find/Replace in Files" feature of my text editor (UltraEdit) on the sounds folder to update the values in every sounds .yy file with a single click.
I'm sure other text editors will have the same sort of feature.

kburkhart84

Firehammer Games
My solution/workaround was to import them all and then use the "Find/Replace in Files" feature of my text editor (UltraEdit) on the sounds folder to update the values in every sounds .yy file with a single click.
I'm sure other text editors will have the same sort of feature.
Indeed, I'm SO glad they got rid of the binary blog project files of the past and did things proper like this for all the resources. Human readable text(JSON) is a godsend when dealing with software like this.