• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!
  • Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Question - IDE [Suggestion] Debugger types: Script and other assets

Dmi7ry

Hi, guys.
types.png
There the variable "callback" contains id of a script. In this case would be useful see name of the script instead of id. Can you add "Script" type, please? Same for other assets.

Last edited:
G

gn.fur

Yiss, this would be useful.
Lulk, this topic sounds like a bunch of bots. =Д

YellowAfterlife

ᴏɴʟɪɴᴇ ᴍᴜʟᴛɪᴘʟᴀʏᴇʀ
Forum Staff
It would be very nice.
My current workarounds are:
  1. Make a global array, populate it with asset' names, and add it to "Watches" window (if you don't use it for anything else).
  2. Have the game dump "index files" on startup in format like
    scripts.txt said:
    0 scrSome
    1 scrOther
    so that you can look things up in them while the debugger is running.

Dmi7ry

1. Make a global array, populate it with asset' names, and add it to "Watches" window (if you don't use it for anything else).
  2. Have the game dump "index files" on startup in format like
The first way isn't usable for me (too much for adding to "watches").
Will use the second for now, thank you.

FrostyCat

Redemption Seeker
"Data structures as a true data type" is on the Roadmap, so there might not be a point to this in the long run. A better suggestion would be to turn project resources into true data types as well, alongside data structures and other dynamically allocated types (e.g. buffers).

Dmi7ry

"Data structures as a true data type" is on the Roadmap, so there might not be a point to this in the long run.
Completely different things.

A better suggestion would be to turn project resources into true data types as well, alongside data structures and other dynamically allocated types (e.g. buffers).
This would take a lot more efforts and time (altough I support your suggestion). My suggestion is trivial for realisation and may be done very fast.