• Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Suggestion: Choose Between gml or D&D Project on Import from Studio 1x

When we import a game from Studio 1.x it converts it to gml. If the game used some d&d it should give us the choice between importing it as d&d, or gml.

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
GMS2 DnD is very different to the way it worked in previous versions, and has been rewritten from the ground up. So, I would think this would be a LOT of work to fix and for little gain....

GMS2 DnD is very different to the way it worked in previous versions, and has been rewritten from the ground up. So, I would think this would be a LOT of work to fix and for little gain....
If you can convert from d&d to gml in Studio 2 why is it that difficult to have either option when importing? Presumably it does have to understand both d&d and gml in Studio 1.x to convert it to code in Studio 2 in the first place. Most d&d that existed before does have the same properties, and extra properties could be defaulted leaving the result the same. I don't know exactly what's going on underneath, but it seems like it must know the difference to even convert both d&d and code from a Studio 1.x file. They can't have the same internal coding to show up as d&d or gml in Studio 1.x can they?

rwkay

GameMaker Staff
GameMaker Dev.
Unfortunately this is not possible as the import process does not convert old DnD to the new 2.0 DnD, it will only convert it to code

Russell

gnysek

If you can convert from d&d to gml in Studio 2 why is it that difficult to have either option when importing? Presumably it does have to understand both d&d and gml in Studio 1.x to convert it to code in Studio 2 in the first place. Most d&d that existed before does have the same properties, and extra properties could be defaulted leaving the result the same. I don't know exactly what's going on underneath, but it seems like it must know the difference to even convert both d&d and code from a Studio 1.x file. They can't have the same internal coding to show up as d&d or gml in Studio 1.x can they?
Game Maker Studio 1.x D&D are special "internal" one-line functions (like action_move()), while in 2.0 you got a real GML functions. Also the problem comes in case of "Execute Code" block, since in this way that would require to have "compatibility" scripts, which make D&D game to being not a D&D in fact.