• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!
  • Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Discussion Suggestion: Changing Color for all selected assets. (not just one by one)

MilesThatch

So I realized (wolf told me) that you can change the color of the asset on an asset layer by double clicking it. I can actually change the color and value of an asset to make it Lighter or Darker or even change the color. This means that I don't have to design 5 (Green, Yellow (dead plant), teal (same plant sprite different color for variety) etc) versions of the same sprite with a different color, brightness which would take up texture space, but instead I can make one assets that's in Gray-scale and assign as color to it via the Room Editor. This is FANTASTIC, I love the feature but it falls short right now. what happens when you've populated your level foliage (50 - 100 assets) and now you need to just slightly nudge the brightness of the assets to fit the scenery. (my foloage stood out bit too much from the background, which is where @Fel666 told me about the brightness option in the instance properties) Worked wonders but now I've got a about 70 other instances, each one in need to be nudged those two color value slots over. Why can't you select all the assets on that layer and globally set the color value for All of them? You already have a script that move all selected instance, that script HAS to itterate between each of the selected assets to move them, why not use the same script for setting the color properties of all selected assets?

Last edited:

MilesThatch

Working on level creation. Have lots of foliage assets spread out throughout the level. After running the game I see that the assets could really use a tone down in the color value. With a good 50 scattered foliage assets, I could seriously use this right about now.

so bump

GMWolf

aka fel666
I totally agree this would be great! When multiple items are selected, there should be a way to modify all their attributes at once (apart from those that are intrinsically unique, like ids)

G

Guest User

would it actually be faster and/or more efficient to have every instance altering it's color every draw step (unless it's done once upon creation, i'm not sure!) than to use a surface or shader to change them?

gnysek

We talking more about case, when you have 100 (same) assets and want to change 20 to red, 10 to blue and 7 to green, leaving rest untouched.

GMWolf

aka fel666
would it actually be faster and/or more efficient to have every instance altering it's color every draw step (unless it's done once upon creation, i'm not sure!) than to use a surface or shader to change them?
Yeah it would. Remember that when drawing anything, you are also sending colour information to blend it with.
No sense in first blending with white, to then blend it with another colour!

Not to mention surfaces use a ton of memory. Avoid them at all cost!

G

Guest User

We talking more about case, when you have 100 (same) assets and want to change 20 to red, 10 to blue and 7 to green, leaving rest untouched.
sense in first blending with white, to then blend it with another colour!
riiiiight, and i was only thinking of changing the color of the whole layer. like a layer_set_blend() function in code or something. :rolleyes:

would certainly be useful then. i feel like it'd be a good idea to include tiles as well tbut i'm not so sure that's possible. and i guess you could always just make more tiles. o:

GMWolf

aka fel666
riiiiight, and i was only thinking of changing the color of the whole layer. like a layer_set_blend() function in code or something. :rolleyes:

would certainly be useful then. i feel like it'd be a good idea to include tiles as well tbut i'm not so sure that's possible. and i guess you could always just make more tiles. o:
Tiles really should be possible, unless the decided to remove the colour attribute from the vertex data...

gnysek

layer_script_begin ?