• Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Suggestion - 5 Tile Autotile

Alice

Darts addict
Forum Staff
I mentioned that idea in some other thread, but I thought it might need some more attention of its own, rather than drown in discussion about the other idea.

Basically, 5-tile autotile would be like a more concise version of 47-tileset. I described the general idea in my post, but I also found a Marketplace resource for easy autotiling, and it seems its author already explained it better.

So, in short, what I ask for, is an ability to provide a 5 tiles, and have 47-tileset generated from these. It's basically what the author of the Marketplace resource calls "generating expanded tileset (like 47-tileset we have) from a compressed tileset (like 5-tileset I ask for)". It looks kind of like that:

The difference is, the order of tiles used there is different than what we have in GM:S 2 at the moment, but the principle remains the same. The process is explained in the Anatomy of a tileset sections of the asset docs.

Any chance we'd get a feature like that? I guess it doesn't need to be as hard as adding an entirely new autotiling system, as it's basically a more concise variation of 47-autotiling, but maybe I'm wrong...?
(that would certainly speed things up greatly for GM:S 2 users, who would need to make only 5, easy to remember tiles, instead of 47 tiles of very specific order)

Glad to see Yoyo taking this idea onbaord. Thanks for suggesting it too, Alice. This looks a million times easier than doing a 47 tile set. One question, though: will this sort of set allow diagonal tiles? Actually, will a 47 tile set, for that matter? I haven't played with GMs autotiling much, yet, but the templates all look like they're lacking diagonal tiles...

L

Lotias

Glad to see Yoyo taking this idea onbaord. Thanks for suggesting it too, Alice. This looks a million times easier than doing a 47 tile set. One question, though: will this sort of set allow diagonal tiles? Actually, will a 47 tile set, for that matter? I haven't played with GMs autotiling much, yet, but the templates all look like they're lacking diagonal tiles...
The problem is, how is the autotiler supposed to tell the difference between diagonals and corners? You could make all the corner tiles slopes, of course, but there's no real way for it to tell. If you need corners and slopes, you're better off letting the autotiler do a lot of the work, and then adding slopes yourself.

The problem is, how is the autotiler supposed to tell the difference between diagonals and corners? You could make all the corner tiles slopes, of course, but there's no real way for it to tell. If you need corners and slopes, you're better off letting the autotiler do a lot of the work, and then adding slopes yourself.
Yeah, that's kind of what I figured. Thanks for confirming, Lotias! One way to do it I thought of would be something like a "draw polygon" tool in the editor. Probably a pain to implement, though, and might not be very intuitive. I'll give it a shot sometime though, I think!

Autotiling with diagonals would be pretty hard as the system would need to guess at what places you want slops and where you don't. THAT to me is impossible BUT, knowing the blowout my previous thread did about my 9 tile request. The idea of having a 16 and 42 tileset generated from a 5 or 9 tileset would be absolutely great and simple, resolving the issues I get with my previous post about 9 tiles support. I love the idea Alice. And knowing the fact that it's in YYG wish list, it gives me some hope, thanks Nocturne!

Well, for me doing grass and ground tiles, I don't want any corners, just diagonals. Could I do that with the curgent system just by replacing all corner tiles with diagonals?

A

Ariak