• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!
  • Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Windows Suddenly Nothing Will Compile

Carlos_ar

I've been working on a project for a few weeks now, I closed GMS2 day before yesterday. Went to use it a few hours ago (that's how long I''ve been troubleshooting this problem) and it won't complie.

This is actually a problem I had when I first started using it and never really fixed it, just figured I'd use a pirated copy until I could get the full version working. I do plan on buying it after my 30 days is up, but with this problem, what guarantees do I have that it will work after the demo period is up?

As far as the pirated copy goes, it's really junk and I don't feel comfortable using it. I'm the guy that prefers to shop locally and tip big when it is deserved, hell, even if it is just moderately deserved. I don't have alot of liquid cash but I know what time is worth and the value of things. When I couldn't get the real version to work I downloaded a pirated copy just to see how GMS2 functioned and if I can work with it. So far I really like it so I want to take the next step.

That copy sort of crapped out on me (expectedly)... dunno why, it was giving me some missing Igor file error... so I uninstalled everything GMS2 from my computer. Wiped the appdata, the program data, uninstalled the program (not in that order) and redownloaded the demo. I still have 18 days left. Lo and behold all the projects still show up, but I wanted to see if I could get it working from scratch, so I created a new game, hit compile, still the same issue... The building progress just ticks... the Output tab shows Saving 1 resources.

If I hit stop, the Output tab shows STOPPING and the Building progress still ticks, but the windows hourglass spins like the program is not responding.

This is exactly the issue I had that caused me to try the pirated version. I can't get it to compile. I have tried a slew of fixes, uninstalled the runtime and downloaded a fresh one, cleared the cache file, nothing.

I know there are a ton of solutions online, I have tried all the ones I could find.

I would appreciate any advice on how to get this working.

Thanks

Carlos_ar

Just tried cleaning (the brush icon) a fresh game with just a room0 and a single sprite as a background. Nothing happened.

Ahhh but the log shows "Corrupt or damaged Gamemaker build tools"

Going to try wiping and reinstalling.... again

Carlos_ar

If this is an issue you have had repeatedly, I would seriously suggest that you contact YoYo Games (go through the form from here: https://accounts.yoyogames.com/contact-us ) and see if you can't get some help from the support personnel as this should not happen, really...
Thanks! I will try that. Heh one of the solutions was to wipe Windows. LOL I am not prepared to do that... not at all. But I will say this... It is now 4:49AM I've been trying to fix this since about 7PM I am still no closer than I was when I started.
It's a shame really. What I was able to do with GMS2 was very promising. I used GameMaker back in 2009 or so. I loved it then.

Carlos_ar

HAH Disable antivirus could be a solution... How about that doesnt work, so completely WIPE the antivirus. Nope did nothing... Oh and I'm completely uninstalling GMS2 in between every attempt at a fix.

There's no reason to think the latest build doesn't work with Windows 7 is there?

Carlos_ar

Ok... no IDEA what I did... Last thing I did was uninstall my antivirus (registry and all) Reinstall GMS2. Didn't work. Uninstalled GMS2 (appdata, and program data too... threw those puppies right in the recycle bin and sent em to the aether) Reinstalled Avast, redownloaded the GMS2 install file, Reinstalled again... Now it seems to be working. For the first time ever, I have a working demo copy, not the pirated version.

What a PITA...

Wonder if this means every time my AV updates definitions or anything, if I'm going to have to go through this all over again. Why the hell would a game making engine have anything at all to do with the antivirus? Bear in mind through this whole thing I had it turned off, just in case it was interfering. "Turned off" as in disabled from everywhere possible. Avast updates like once a week... am I going to have to spend an hour or two uninstalling and reinstalling everything every week? Is there maybe some other reason it suddenly started working and it was a coincidence that it happened to start working after messing with the AV?

TsukaYuriko

☄️
Forum Staff
Hopefully the situation pictured above won't be the norm. If your AV is causing trouble, I can suggest excluding any GM-related paths from the realtime protection's scan paths (though if you have it disabled, it shouldn't be able to interfere at all). Do you have any firewall products installed? These may sometimes analyze and contain anything they consider suspicious, and with GM being able to create exe files that can run just about anything, a firewall might raise a false positive there and contain or block it.

Another thing that comes to mind: Are you running GM as an administrator? Running the installer as admin and then running the IDE from that will run it as admin, but are you elevating it when starting the IDE otherwise?

Carlos_ar

Thanks for the reply TsukaYuriko! As I stated earlier... I had my AV completely disabled during most of the testing (and one of the first thing I did was to add an exception to the firewall and the AV software to ignore GMS2. At one point I completely uninstalled every firewall/AV software thing I had. I only really use Avast on this PC, and that is a major project to completely remove; tendrils of it are in everything. Even uninstalling the antivirus and reinstalling GMS2 didnt change the behavior of GMS2. It didn't change until after I reinstalled the AV (didnt change any of the exceptions) and installed GMS2 again.
Bear in mind when I first downloaded GMS2 it never worked. It always had this compile issue. Changing the exceptions in the AV, uninstalling/reinstalling runtimes, Registry changes, odd stuff too; like changing the clock, using an older runtime (which doesnt work at all btw, the program won't even start) even with that one work-around that allows you to use older runtimes wouldnt work for me.
And yes, to answer your question, since the first time I installed it and it didnt work I always "Run as Admin"

Hell I even set the folder it was saving to to be wide open at one point and assigned GMS2 as its controller through CMD. That didn't change anything.

I was at this on and off from the start, but more specifically the past 12 hours.

Just read back through that (been a long night) and I don't mean to sound hostile. Seeing as there really is no information online about this specific problem it's a localized issue with something in my PC. I do ALOT on my computers from gaming, to JS coding and gaming, 3d modeling and rendering, digital art and design, and so on... So there's no telling where the conflict is. I blame my computer system (and user error) more than GMS2. Hopefully it's smooth sailing from here and I can get my full license and get rid of that demo alert :)

Last edited:

Roo

Just ran into this "Corrupt or damaged Gamemaker build tools." error after a recent Windows reinstall in which I restored a backup of much of the PC, including GMS2 preferences. Multiple reinstallations of Gamemaker didn't help, but what finally did was removing and reinstalling the runtimes from the Preferences > Runtime Feeds > Master page. I don't know if this matters or if it's just cosmetic or something, but the runtimes were showing their locations with mixes of forward-slashes and backslashes ("C:\ProgramData/GameMakerStudio2/Cache/..."), which they no longer do after reinstalling them.