• Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Windows Sudden game slowdown after reformat

Alyxx

I reformated my system recently and now when I run my game, it runs significantly slower than it used to. I have no idea why as I have literally not changed anything in my game before the reformat or since.

rIKmAN

I reformated my system recently and now when I run my game, it runs significantly slower than it used to. I have no idea why as I have literally not changed anything in my game before the reformat or since.
If you haven't changed your code / version of GMS then the issue must be elsewhere.

1) Have you updated all of your drivers to the same versions as before?
2) If you've installed newer versions have you tried rolling back to the versions you had previously? (ie. GPU drivers)
3) Is Windows Update fully updated?
4) Does your AV have the same exceptions and realtime monitoring settings as before?
5) Any software installed that you didn't have before that could affect performance?
etc etc etc.

Lots of things that could have changed after a reformat that could be causing the issue.

Edit:
You've tagged this thread as v2.3 which is the beta.
Does it run slower in the beta than in 2.2.x or vice versa, or has it been imported / upgraded from a 2.2.x project?

Alyxx

Thanks for the tips. I'm gonna try installing some drivers and see if it helps.
I changed the prefix since I am not running the beta.

rIKmAN

Thanks for the tips. I'm gonna try installing some drivers and see if it helps.
I changed the prefix since I am not running the beta.
If you have reformatted and not installed any drivers, then this is almost certainly the cause of the reduced performance.

You should be looking at installing at a minimum the latest motherboard / chipset and GPU drivers for your system, and depending on your setup (desktop / laptop etc) then there will be many others such as sound, ethernet/wifi etc that would also be worth updating and are a better choice than the standard Windows drivers installed by default.

Check the manufacturers websites for your hardware (ASUS/Gigabyte/Nvidia etc) or if you are using a laptop then the website of whatever company makes the laptop (Dell/Lenovo etc) for your model number.

Last edited:

Alyxx

Yeah I had installed the latest optional AMD drivers but not the official chipset drivers from the ASUS website or the recommended driver version. Doing that now. Hopefully that will resolve the issue.
Edit: It did not help the issue. I also haven't installed any different software that should impact the game so I'm at a loss...

Alyxx

Screenshot50.png
Added a FPS counter. It's supposed to run at 30 FPS...
Have not had this issue in any other games I've played after reformating...
Edit: Gonna try to install drivers from the original CD's instead of the downloaded ones...

Last edited:

Alyxx

Update: Installing older drivers has not resolved the issue. I've also installed all the chipset drivers and necessary drivers for my PC. Nothing has helped. I'm seriously at a loss for what could be causing this.

rIKmAN

Hmm not sure then if drivers and Windows Updates etc are all up to date.

Had you previously changed any of the settings with the GPU Tools (ie. NVidia Control Panel) to tweak settings or force vsync etc?

Do all GMS2 projects show the same behaviour or just this one?
Have you tried turning on sync in Options > Windows to see if it makes a difference?

Alyxx

Hmm not sure then if drivers and Windows Updates etc are all up to date.

Had you previously changed any of the settings with the GPU Tools (ie. NVidia Control Panel) to tweak settings or force vsync etc?

Do all GMS2 projects show the same behaviour or just this one?
Have you tried turning on sync in Options > Windows to see if it makes a difference?
I only have a single GMS2 project to test right now since I'm only working on a single game atm.
I had some pending updates. Installing them now.
I am running the game with vsync enabled. I tried without, didn't make a difference. I also have not changed any settings in the Radeon settings. According to my settings, vsync is always on.
Update: Windows is updated. No change. I'm completely lost.

Last edited:

Alyxx

Update: Solved the issue. I have a 144Hz monitor. Setting it to 60Hz made the game run fine. I guess it was a sync issue.

rIKmAN

Update: Solved the issue. I have a 144Hz monitor. Setting it to 60Hz made the game run fine. I guess it was a sync issue.
Ah, yeah you probably should have mentioned that in the first post haha, a few people have had similar issues with 144hz monitors.

Glad you got it sorted.

H

hcahoone

I was having the same problem this week after an update. Thanks so much for your solution, which worked perfectly for me. What is perplexing is that I use GM2 on my gaming laptop, which I assume has always had a refresh rate of 144 Hz (though honestly don't think I ever looked at it before). Do you think I must be wrong, and that my rate had previously been set to 60 and the update changed it to 144? Or that it had been at 144 and that something about the update made that no longer viable for GM2?