• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Sub-forum name change suggested

Status
Not open for further replies.
F

foldupgames

The term "Community Tech Support" is easily confused with "Programming" to me.

Does anyone else find this confusing and would you suggest it be changed?

Mike

nobody important
GMC Elder
Nope. Thanks for asking :)

Tech support is for things like, help setting up SDKs, compile issues, installation issues - stuff that stops you using the product.

Programming is for your code. How do I write path finding, this function (showing code) isn't working - any ideas why? that kind of thing.

Both very different.

F

foldupgames

Nope. Thanks for asking :)

Tech support is for things like, help setting up SDKs, compile issues, installation issues - stuff that stops you using the product.

Programming is for your code. How do I write path finding, this function (showing code) isn't working - any ideas why? that kind of thing.

Both very different.
Yup. I just found the names themselves confusing. "Community Tech Support" sounds like it's about the GMC community - this board. OR it might be the go-to place to get tech support from the community.

See what I mean?

Mike

nobody important
GMC Elder
It means it Tech support driven by the community. While some YoYo staff help out here, we do not provide official support on these forums - hence the community bit.

F

foldupgames

It means it Tech support driven by the community. While some YoYo staff help out here, we do not provide official support on these forums - hence the community bit.
But now you're discussing it and things just got...meta, wouldn't you say?

:) At any rate, I've lodged my opinion. With it (and also $5) you may buy a coffee! Thanks for your input - I am certain the exchange rate of your opinion is worth a tad bit more than mine.

F

foldupgames

I'm not providing support I'm "discussing" the forums. ;)
I know - I'm just messing with you guys.

See, Nocturne understands. You have to literally draw a picture. Mostly, I'm just trying to prove I'm not a dummy for posting to the wrong board that one time.

Yal

🐧 *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
IMO the names are fine the way they are now. Sure, people post topic in the wrong place constantly so they need to be moved by a moderator, but at least that means Tsuka gets something useful to do instead of playing Aion with her friends all the time :p

chance

predictably random
Forum Staff
Sure, people post topic in the wrong place constantly...
Typically, only once. Because once the misplaced topic is moved to Programming, that person won't repeat his mistake.

There's always a few new members who misunderstand what "Tech Support" means. But that's usually because they don't notice the Programming Forum right below it. Once people see "Programming", they usually understand the difference.

I seem to recall a decision to move the Programming Forum to a position above Tech Support on the main page, to make it more visible. (Think Tsuka suggested this.) Might be worth considering, although there isn't really a problem either way. Members are good about reporting misplaced topics.

J

jackhigh24

I seem to recall a decision to move the Programming Forum to a position above Tech Support on the main page, to make it more visible. (Think Tsuka suggested this.) Might be worth considering, although there isn't really a problem either way. Members are good about reporting misplaced topics.
ye that might be a good idea to have programming above tech, so anyway just wanted to say to @Mike iv got the last word, unless you cheat and say something then lock it.

muahahaha

Status
Not open for further replies.