• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!
  • Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Windows Stutters/freezing (not code-related?)

DriesTech

Hi everyone!

I have currently been working on a game for a few months as a hobby. Everything has been going quite well, but recently I have discovered that every 5-6 seconds the whole thing (and i freezes for a fraction of a second. The room speed (fps) drops to 30-20 for a moment. Strangely, the fps_real never seems to drop under 90, according to the graph.

At first I thought this was due to bloated Draw & Step events, or Alarm events that had intervals that were too small, but after stripping the code that I thought could the problem, nothing really changed.

Now I noticed that this also occurs in other rooms (I have two 'pre-game' rooms for settings and stuff, with little to no code in it). So, if i'm not mistaken, bloated events/performance, isn't really the issue here? Could it be that my entire computer just freezes for no reason in stead of the game?

The game itself isn't very big (160mb memory at runtime) which is why i don't think coding hs anything to do with it.

I hope I gave enough information and that this isn't a very noobish question :) Thank you so much for your advice & help!!