• Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

iOS stupid apple updates ruined everything

Maa2007

my iPhone 6+ has been asking me to update my iPhone os to OS 12.2, and i kept canceling the updates (i have 12.1 installed and working fine), then my iPhone went and updated it self without taking permission !!,
and now i cant export my game to my iphone, im locked out, Why ?
well, Xcode say i cant export to your phone because it have version 12.2 so you have to update me,
so i try to update Xcode and it refuses to update because i have to update my Mac operating system to latest (mojave) version, but my Mac machine is made in 2011 model, and this model is not covered in list of machines that can install (mojave) version, so now I'm stuck,

Last edited:

TsukaYuriko

☄️
Forum Staff
Is there a way to downgrade your phone's OS to the previous version?

Either way, this sounds like a topic that should be posted to Apple's support forum, not the GMC, as I doubt there's anything we can change about the situation.

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
I'm afraid that this is just another example of how Apple forces obsolescence into it's products to make users spend more money. I had a similar situation when my old MacBook AIr refused to update the OS any further and I had to get myself a newer Mac Mini to keep developing for Apple.

Toque

I’ve gone through this. I delayed updating Apple stuff as long as I could. But eventually Xcode requirements will require a computer upgrade through the OS limits.

Perfectly running computer obsolete.

Developing with Apple has its cost. For Apple it does limit the OS it has to support. So I kind of get it.

Not sure if Microsoft does the same.

Tthecreator

Your Creator!
Screw apple. If you are somewhat technical you should be able to (unofficially) update your mac. Just google it.
I've got mojave running on an amd ryzen rig so anything should be possible.

To be fair, their os support is longer than most other phones though.. Still not as good a Windows or Linux which will work on virtually every pc given it's not from before Christ.

In your position I'd just unofficially upgrade your mac. What's the worst that can happen? Your warranty void? Do back up your data and you should be absolutely fine.

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/macos-10-14-mojave-on-unsupported-macs-thread.2121473/

I

immortalx

Not sure if Microsoft does the same.
In one way or another you can run 20 years+ old software, in a variaty of Microsoft OSs. And whatever stubborn software-OS combo refuses to work, is usually not planned obsolence, just plain obsolence.
That's really the main reason Windows still stays attractive.

Toque

In one way or another you can run 20 years+ old software, in a variaty of Microsoft OSs. And whatever stubborn software-OS combo refuses to work, is usually not planned obsolence, just plain obsolence.
That's really the main reason Windows still stays attractive.

I’m referring to publishing. Publishing for Microsoft. Apple you are locked to Xcode and it’s requirments.

I

immortalx

I’m referring to publishing. Publishing for Microsoft. Apple you are locked to Xcode and it’s requirments.
What I said does apply to developing and publishing. You can run VS2017 on older OSs like Windows 7 or Server 2012. You can also run a two-decades-old VS6 on Windows 10. There's no lock down, that was what I meant.

S

Sam (Deleted User)

Wait, so if I try to update to Mojave through the app store even though it would work perfectly fine in terms of hardware abilities, Apple won't allow it, because it was made in 2010, and they want my money? Too bad I only buy stuff used, so take that you f****** apple sauce!!!

Doesn't this defeat the purpose of getting "free" updates? Like the word "free" even means anything literal to them...

Want to read a lie from the pit of hell?
macOS Mojave requires Macs with Metal API support:
so if what @Tthecreator says is true, they are literally making crap up to get more money out of their existing customers.

Last edited by a moderator:
J

jva

I just ran into this..
I have a Mid 2010 Mac Mini so the highest macOS I can run is High Sierra and that limits me to use Xcode version 10.1.
I have my Ipad Mini 4 running iOS 12.3.1.

You can still build your app as .IPA and install it on your device via iTunes (Windows or mac):
-Open your project in Xcode.
-Select "Generic iOS Device" as the active scheme.
-Then do Product -> Archive -> Distribute App. Select Ad Hoc as the method.
-When you have had your .IPA built, connect your device via usb to your computer and to iTunes.
-You can drag and drop the .IPA to the "On My Device" tab in the iTunes window and it will get installed on the device.

If the app icon is grayed out and won't install it probably means You need to add your device on the devices list of your developer account and then build again.
You can add devices to your account and download older Xcode versions from developer.apple.com.
If you have a _ as the first letter of the archive export folder, that folder will be invisible so just change the archive name if it has _ by default.