• Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Studio 2 Hits And Misses

A

Alessio

Like the workplace, middle button is annoying to move the room around because that button is also the mouse wheel so, obviously unwanted zoom ins and outs occur when moving around
I've used Autodesk Maya and it uses similar controls, i didn't find them a very big deal.
Really can't wait for the full release, though, because, previously, while i loved the flexiblity of the engine, the IDE turned me away and i had hard time with it. With a greatly improved IDE, Game Maker may be the right tool for me.

Jobo

GMC Elder
I want to point out that presenting 'HIT/MISS' lists - which are going to contain strongly subjective opinions - as objective information is not a particularly good way to present this. Your MISS might be another user's HIT. It would be more valuable/interesting to see statistics regarding the number of users who agree/disagree with a particular HIT/MISS.

Example:
MISS: Would like to fling scroll/pan around
We obviously tested this and unanimously found it to be a thoroughly bad experience, so it is by all means a subjective statement. Now, a lot of people are saying they want this so it may be added (don't quote me, I just know it's being discussed) but if so I do believe they will try it and go 'blergh, that's horrible!' and go back to the way we set it. But you cannot objectively present this as a MISS... See my statement above. Agree/disagree votes would be more interesting.

MISS: OOPS removed
???

G

GproKaru

So
Model rendering. Yes, this has moved to compatability scripts. However, these scripts are just sitting in the runtime cache in a ZIP and you can add them yourself so you get the full GML code of a model renderer, allowing you to enhance it all if you want as well. Look in...C:\ProgramData\GameMakerStudio2\Cache\runtimes\runtime-2.0.1.16\lib\compatibility.zip. You'll find these pretty useful I suspect.
I've found the compatibility zip but I can't seem to get the gml scripts into GMS2. The trail version doesn't allow for Included Files and I tired creating new scripts and just copy pasting the contents of the GML scripts into GMS2 but no results~ The launcher output just writes all the chunks to the project and then I get this prompt in the output box:
C:\Windows\system32\cmd.exe exited with non-zero status (1)

We obviously tested this and unanimously found it to be a thoroughly bad experience, so it is by all means a subjective statement. Now, a lot of people are saying they want this so it may be added (don't quote me, I just know it's being discussed) but if so I do believe they will try it and go 'blergh, that's horrible!' and go back to the way we set it.
The easiest solution would be to have an option to toggle between the different scroll methods. Instead of just catering to one crowd, you cover all grounds. It's better to have an option than to not have the choice at all~

Last edited by a moderator:
I

icuurd12b42

I want to point out that presenting 'HIT/MISS' lists - which are going to contain strongly subjective opinions - as objective information is not a particularly good way to present this. Your MISS might be another user's HIT. It would be more valuable/interesting to see statistics regarding the number of users who agree/disagree with a particular HIT/MISS.

Example:

We obviously tested this and unanimously found it to be a thoroughly bad experience, so it is by all means a subjective statement. Now, a lot of people are saying they want this so it may be added (don't quote me, I just know it's being discussed) but if so I do believe they will try it and go 'blergh, that's horrible!' and go back to the way we set it. But you cannot objectively present this as a MISS... See my statement above. Agree/disagree votes would be more interesting.

???
I have implemented this in my tmc_trace. It's not horrible, it's just there if you want to fling the canvass. I don't really see how this is a horrible idea. You move the canvas with the mouse normally as you do now or you can fling in a distance according to the strength of the mouse move... and cap the movement to the canvas size. It's possible the first attempt was horribly implemented, god knows I spent a few hours on this myself.

makas

Baby penguis are tasty anyway... no tears at all :p

Mike sorry for being insistent, any word on the isometric tileset support? I was trying to change the grid like I did on GMS1 when using tiles the textboxes used to change the size of the grid are blocked.. Im worried about this... because I pretend that my next game to be hexgrid based...

C

CedSharp

PRO: GMS2 has a nice interface
CON: Gameplay was boring; story was confusing and too short, I beat GMS2 in like 15 minutes.

(Also no code folding.)
Code folding was something I was almost sure would have been implemented in GMS2, I agree it's sad that it's missing.

Specially that now we have GML mode, so seperating in piece of code isn't a viable "folding" alternative.

I know it's not necessary at all, but I love having "sections" to my code like so:
Code:
// Inputs {{
    some code goes here
// }}

// Movements {{
     some other code goes here
// }}

// Some more section {{
    again, some code here
// }}
once folded, that would look like this:
Code:
// Inputs {{...}}

// Movements {{...}}

// Some more section {{...}}
folding is just for looks and organization, but I also use it to optimize my time. No need to scroll a window of 500 lines when everything is well organized into sections that fits in the window.

If there was a way to fold, already that would be nice. If there was a way to fold custom sections defined in comments, that would be just epic.
:p

Last edited:
C

CedSharp

Baby penguis are tasty anyway... no tears at all :p

Mike sorry for being insistent, any word on the isometric tileset support? I was trying to change the grid like I did on GMS1 when using tiles the textboxes used to change the size of the grid are blocked.. Im worried about this... because I pretend that my next game to be hexgrid based...
There is always the possibility of adding sprites directly in the room and having an invisible data_structure-driven grid over it.

But I agree that we should be able to have different mode for tilesets.

Mike

nobody important
GMC Elder
At some point yes. But probably not in the way your expecting. Look at the 1.x Isometric demo. It'll probably generate maps like this (so 2D - which is how Isometric maps should be done), but we'll let you edit in an Isometric view.

Still a long way off though.... but yes - one day.

Folding is on our wishlist, or rather "regions" I'm not a fan of folding on every { } you find....

kupo15

Keep the window open and just "undo" - LOTS! Undo is much better in this version, just keep the window open (which you would have to do anyway) and undo your changes.
This isn't going to change I'm afraid, it was a huge issue internally that 1.x did this. So now, either undo your actions, or use source control and revert stuff.

Personally, I leave everything open and "undo" a lot. (or duplicate the resource)
This caused a huge problem in 1.x? That's surprising to hear :p
Is there a way to add undo bookmarks that way we could set a spot we like and undo all to there with a single button? I guess reopening a box resets the undo list so I could just hold down cntl+z until it goes through its entire list which brings me back to the start of when I first opened it?

C

CedSharp

At some point yes. But probably not in the way your expecting. Look at the 1.x Isometric demo. It'll probably generate maps like this (so 2D - which is how Isometric maps should be done), but we'll let you edit in an Isometric view.

Still a long way off though.... but yes - one day.

Folding is on our wishlist, or rather "regions" I'm not a fan of folding on every { } you find....
You and I think the same. I usually don't fold my "if" or "for" statements. I usually only fold regions.
So I'll be very happy as long as I have some sort of folding haha.

I used a double '{' and '}' in the example I gave because that's visually faster for me to make difference between a block and a region.
If you could add something in the code settings to let user decide what to use for region foldiing that would be nice.
I'm thinking of a couple different ways:

1. No special formatting for regions, just fold '{' and '}' even in the comments.
Code:
// My Region {
    some_code_here();
// }
2. Instead of using '{' and '}' for folding, maybe use indentation? this way we can simply indent the code after a comment and it becomes a regions
Code:
// My region

some_code_here();

// My other region

some_other_code();
3. Usage of the visual studio style of regions
Code:
// #region My region
    some_code_here();
// #endregion
4. Usage of some Intellij Idea style of regions
Code:
// <folding desc="My region">
    some_code_here();
//</folding>
5. Maybe allow user-defined "string" for folding? ( provide opening and closing input in which to put it )
Code:
// My regions  {fold}
    some_code_here();
// {endfold}
those are all proposition. I know that if you implement only one, people won't be happy. ( I will tho! )
So maybe, like my point 5, implement a "search substring" to find fold start and fold end, ( which can only be found in comments of course )

there are probably tons of more options for folding, but those are the ones I could think as of just now.

R

renex

I'd like to note that the first thing I do is to read the manuals of things. I learned Game Maker 5.3 on my own by reading the whole manual like it was a book.

And I really like the new html manual, with the spoiler tags and gifs! Really the next step in the evolution of manuals, if you look at the horrible manual that came with 5.3.

I like how there's no green tick anymore, I used iographica to monitor my workflow during a long session once and most of the time lost was for aiming at confirmations.

Screenshot_1.jpg

I

icuurd12b42

You and I think the same. I usually don't fold my "if" or "for" statements. I usually only fold regions.

there are probably tons of more options for folding, but those are the ones I could think as of just now.
You are over complicating things. 2 simple start and end markers for folding
/* and */
{ and }

Code:
// My Comments
/*
  This draws
  the sprites
  on a new surface
*/
// My Vars {
var surf = surface_create(512,512);
var ypos = [0,100,200,400,500];
//}
surface_set_target(surf)
{
    for(var i = 0; i< array_leght_1d(ypos); ++ i)
    {
         draw_sprite(sprite_index,0,0,ypos[i]);
    }
}
surface_reset_target();
Code:
// My Comments
/* ... */
// My Vars {...}
surface_set_target(surf)
{...}
surface_reset_target();
Horizontal collapse would be interesting as well. defined by
( and )
[ and ]
var surf = surface_create(...);
var ypos = [...];

Jobo

GMC Elder
I have implemented this in my tmc_trace. It's not horrible, it's just there if you want to fling the canvass. I don't really see how this is a horrible idea. You move the canvas with the mouse normally as you do now or you can fling in a distance according to the strength of the mouse move... and cap the movement to the canvas size. It's possible the first attempt was horribly implemented, god knows I spent a few hours on this myself.

Okay, I misunderstood what you meant. No that's what I was talking about at all.

Tsa05

Loving the stuff I'm seeing in general so far!
Couple quick UI things I've noticed so far:
  • What is the asterisk for, up in the code tabs? Since there's no way to close the editor without automatically retaining the changes, and since the * goes away when I re-open the editor (regardless of whether I save the project), there seems to be no specific point to it being there.
  • Could code errors be reflected in the events area, to make it easier to track them down?
  • When adding an event to a GML Code project, a code editor opens automatically, but does not have focus. Could the code editor gain focus when it is automatically created? (Especially useful when creating an event in order to ctrl+A and paste in a code snippet)
  • Could use a sort of "restore down" button to counter the maximize button; once the code editor goes full, it appears that I can only get the flow-chart version by closing then re-opening the editor?
  • Tiny thing, but in the drop-down menu the events are called Key Pressed > Something. Once added to the events list, they are called Key Press - Something.
And a few little eyebrow-raise other things related to changes:
  • "single quotes no longer allowed for a string" ...? Is this normal? I thought pretty much every language allowed single and double quotes.
  • Undefined scripts no longer highlight as an error. This was a useful addition in 1.x, and would be great to still have here in 2!
Very tiny usability things :) Great-looking new interface!

C

CedSharp

You are over complicating things. 2 simple start and end markers for folding
/* and */
{ and }

Code:
// My Comments
/*
  This draws
  the sprites
  on a new surface
*/
// My Vars {
var surf = surface_create(512,512);
var ypos = [0,100,200,400,500];
//}
surface_set_target(surf)
{
    for(var i = 0; i< array_leght_1d(ypos); ++ i)
    {
         draw_sprite(sprite_index,0,0,ypos[i]);
    }
}
surface_reset_target();
Code:
// My Comments
/* ... */
// My Vars {...}
surface_set_target(surf)
{...}
surface_reset_target();
Horizontal collapse would be interesting as well. defined by
( and )
[ and ]
var surf = surface_create(...);
var ypos = [...];
I an actually proposing the opposit of you. I don't want to fold '{' and '}' specifically. I want to fold "regions" not block of codes.
My proposition was big but it really falls down to this:

I would like in the settings a way to define a custom opening and closing of foldable region.
Code:
Enable Region folding [ âś” ]
Fold start: [  #region          ]
Fold end:   [  #regionend       ]
Those setting would enable using those strings for folding in comments:
Code:
// #region Area
// #endregion
which once folded could look like this
Code:
// #region Area ... #endregion

I

icuurd12b42

I guess it could be useful to be able to define the start and end tags for code folding!!

rIKmAN

I an actually proposing the opposit of you. I don't want to fold '{' and '}' specifically. I want to fold "regions" not block of codes.
My proposition was big but it really falls down to this:

I would like in the settings a way to define a custom opening and closing of foldable region.
Code:
Enable Region folding [ âś” ]
Fold start: [  #region          ]
Fold end:   [  #regionend       ]
Those setting would enable using those strings for folding in comments:
Code:
// #region Area
// #endregion
which once folded could look like this
Code:
// #region Area ... #endregion
Are you a JungleIDE user by any chance?

C

CedSharp

Are you a JungleIDE user by any chance?
I didn't buy it, but I wish I could've used it. :p

When it comes to Monkey-X I had my own IDE setup with notepad++.
Code folding, file treeview and even F5 to compile and run the game haha.

The only thing missing was intellisense :p

G

Greg Squire

MISS: Not respecting my windows setting for double-click to open and slow double click to change text, fact this omission is pretty much all over the UI
I'm seeing this as well and it's VERY frustrating. Sometimes my double clicks are recognized and the UI will open the object or sprite in edit mode, but more often it does nothing or puts me in "rename" mode. I find I have to right click and select "edit" way too often.

C

CedSharp

I'm seeing this as well and it's VERY frustrating. Sometimes my double clicks are recognized and the UI will open the object or sprite in edit mode, but more often it does nothing or puts me in "rename" mode. I find I have to right click and select "edit" way too often.
i like draging the instance in the worplace instead of double cliking :p

G

Greg Squire

i like draging the instance in the worplace instead of double cliking :p
I didn't know you could do that; I may give that a go. However I think most people will expect that a double click will open it. That's the behavior from GMS 1.0 and just about every other IDE and similar UIs on the planet.

C

CedSharp

Many things changed in Gm2. Many things don't work the same, many things have been removed, many things have been added.
The interface is now dockable, we have a workarea, and as such I think people who don't want to learn a new IDE are just stuborn lol.
It's a new IDE, its a new software. It doesn't work exactly the same. Things are different, yet you will have to change your habits. If you don't want to update your habits, if you don't want to work in a different environment, then simply don't get gm2 that's as simple as that :p

Once you accept that, gms2 is wonderful :D

- note -
I'm not saying you are stuborn, I was talking in general. Many people aren't happy with what I think are habits that they simply don't want to change. Please don't take this as an insult targeted at you, it is not ;)

I

icuurd12b42

>yet you will have to change your habits
Not respecting my windows settings is not something resolved by me changing my habits. You can't ask me to change my habit of being half blind when I complain about the fact I can't change the font size on the fly, for example, or my habit of needing a slow double click because my arthritis prevents me from clicking super fast or in perfect timing...

And dragging something on the workspace is definitely different than double clicking it in the final outcome.

I don't know why when we raise legitimate complaints people assume we are bitching for nothing. For example, in studio 1.4... You cant run at 1080p! run it at Higher resolution without windows font scaling because that breaks the UI. Sorry, I can't effing read text that small. Making sure every small little detail works perfectly is something that needs to be done. and it's not done for the majority of people that are oblivious to why those details need to be done, it's done for people that need those little details to work!

Plain fact is if you make a windows app you should respect the standards.

C

CedSharp

>yet you will have to change your habits
Not respecting my windows settings is not something resolved by me changing my habits. You can't ask me to change my habit of being half blind when I complain about the fact I can't change the font size on the fly, for example, or my habit of needing a slow double click because my arthritis prevents me from clicking super fast or in perfect timing...

And dragging something on the workspace is definitely different than double clicking it in the final outcome.

I don't know why when we raise legitimate complaints people assume we are bitching for nothing. For example, in studio 1.4... You cant run at 1080p! run it at Higher resolution without windows font scaling because that breaks the UI. Sorry, I can't effing read text that small. Making sure every small little detail works perfectly is something that needs to be done. and it's not done for the majority of people that are oblivious to why those details need to be done, it's done for people that need those little details to work!

Plain fact is if you make a windows app you should respect the standards.
I agree with the font size issue. this is a must have for any text editor. If not using a keyboard or mouse shortcut, at least have easy "bigger": and "smaller" font size button.

As of the double click issue, I wasn't talking about the speed of the click, rather, the kind of answer I got after proposing an alternative. That, and many other things i've readed in this topic in general.
I wasn't talking about windows-specific stuff rather I'm very tired of hearing people complain about "oh its not like in gm1.4". Ofc it's not like in gm1.4, this is NOT gm 1.4.

All the point you raised icuurd12b42 are valid and I have nothing against them, I actually am in favor of your opinion.
The points I have raised are unrelated to the points you have mentionned, sorry if I have been misunderstood.

- CedSharp

Last edited:
I

icuurd12b42

I agree with the font size issue. this is a must have for any text editor. If not using a keyboard or mouse shortcut, at least have easy "bigger": and "smaller" font size button.
- CedSharp
Iknow, but your post was the perfect vehicle for an important point

rIKmAN

I didn't buy it, but I wish I could've used it. :p

When it comes to Monkey-X I had my own IDE setup with notepad++.
Code folding, file treeview and even F5 to compile and run the game haha.

The only thing missing was intellisense :p
Haha, fellow Monkey-X user here (and MX2 Patreon supporter) - Mark is a genius - and MX is a great tool and language - with something like Ignition/Pyro it is a really powerful setup for multi-platform development and it straddles the line between ease of use / complete control / flexibility really well.

Jungle IDE was well worth the money also, and it's funny because as soon as I saw the script editor in GM1 I was instantly thinking if I could somehow get Jungle working as the GM Script Editor instead because I love it so much (and am so used to it's features).

Nice to see another Monkey-er around, we seem pretty rare lol!

Mike

nobody important
GMC Elder
You can change the code editor font size via the preferences. Change the "Default" one in Preferences->Text Editors->Code Editor -> Colours -> Default. This will change all code editor text sizes. Click "apply" the click a code window, and it'll use the new size (not sure why it doesn't change on just the Apply... but never mind).

Also, we do pick up DPI settings from windows, so if you have higher than normal DPI it should get that and scale things accordingly.

We can do the wheel thing, but I'm a little reluctant as it'll mean loading in a stack of fonts as you "roll" past them, and that will be painful and eat memory. But it is certainly possible.... I also really want to keep CTRL+WHEEL so that we can zoom while over a text window. If its used for the font, then we cant.

How often do you actually change the font size? I'd have assumed (wrongly perhaps) that you set a size and stick with it - more or less....?

I

icuurd12b42

You can change the code editor font size via the preferences. Change the "Default" one in Preferences->Text Editors->Code Editor -> Colours -> Default. This will change all code editor text sizes. Click "apply" the click a code window, and it'll use the new size (not sure why it doesn't change on just the Apply... but never mind).

Also, we do pick up DPI settings from windows, so if you have higher than normal DPI it should get that and scale things accordingly.

We can do the wheel thing, but I'm a little reluctant as it'll mean loading in a stack of fonts as you "roll" past them, and that will be painful and eat memory. But it is certainly possible.... I also really want to keep CTRL+WHEEL so that we can zoom while over a text window. If its used for the font, then we cant.

How often do you actually change the font size? I'd have assumed (wrongly perhaps) that you set a size and stick with it - more or less....?
Currently ctrl + wheel does nothing over the code editor, you would do best to set it to change the font size and not divert from the windows standard. and enabling antialias would be good for the text as I did in my .net clone of your windowing system with tmc_trace... the pixelation is a nightmare and, currently, the workspace zoom is the only option I have.

Yes, you assume wrongly, this is how blind people code., and very likely, you will too from that twitter post you made a few weeks back :).
Not sure why it would eat memory though. Something to do the using a font in similar way Game Maker' runner uses fonts maybe? I don't have that issue with a regular window GDI canvas in tmc_trace

C

CedSharp

Currently ctrl + wheel does nothing over the code editor, you would do best to set it to change the font size and not divert from the windows standard. and enabling antialias would be good for the text as I did in my .net clone of your windowing system with tmc_trace... the pixelation is a nightmare and, currently, the workspace zoom is the only option I have.

Yes, you assume wrongly, this is how blind people code., and very likely, you will too from that twitter post you made a few weeks back :).
Not sure why it would eat memory though. Something to do the using a font in similar way Game Maker' runner uses fonts maybe? I don't have that issue with a regular window GDI canvas in tmc_trace
Oh, I think I get your point now.
True I didn't think people would actually have the need to zoom-in and zoom-out more than once or twice in one coding session.
Your video opened my eyes to something I never even thought of before.
I understand your point now and I support you :)

I

icuurd12b42

MISS: Treeview and lists dont respond to keyboard character inputs.

For example, create a font, Hit C to get to the "C" named font to find Courrier... fail.

This goes to my main point. respect the OS standard and expected behaviors!

MISS: The Syntax Error does not update properly, Showing me an error in my line when the error is in fact resolved

I

icuurd12b42

MISS: Code editor does not support split string
Trying to add this brainđź’©đź’©đź’©đź’© code to my interpreter
load_code(">+++++++++[<+++++++++++>-]<[>[-]>[-]<<[>+>+<<-]>>[<<+>>-]>>>
[-]<<<+++++++++<[>>>+<<[>+>[-]<<-]>[<+>-]>[<<++++++++++>>>+<
-]<<-<-]+++++++++>[<->-]>>+>[<[-]<<+>>>-]>[-]+<<[>+>-<<-]<<<
[>>+>+<<<-]>>>[<<<+>>>-]>[<+>-]<<-[>[-]<[-]]>>+<[>[-]<-]<+++
+++++[<++++++<++++++>>-]>>>[>+>+<<-]>>[<<+>>-]<[<<<<<.>>>>>-
]<<<<<<.>>[-]>[-]++++[<++++++++>-]<.>++++[<++++++++>-]<++.>+
++++[<+++++++++>-]<.><+++++..--------.-------.>>[>>+>+<<<-]>
>>[<<<+>>>-]<[<<<<++++++++++++++.>>>>-]<<<<[-]>++++[<+++++++
+>-]<.>+++++++++[<+++++++++>-]<--.---------.>+++++++[<------
---->-]<.>++++++[<+++++++++++>-]<.+++..+++++++++++++.>++++++
++[<---------->-]<--.>+++++++++[<+++++++++>-]<--.-.>++++++++
");

Unterminated string literal error followed by a bunch of error about the content...

This is not acceptable.

[edit]
Looks like it's the editor line syntax that has the problem. the game compiles and runs

rwkay

GameMaker Staff
GameMaker Dev.
I think you are looking for the @"" strings which are the equivalent of 1.x strings where any characters, including new lines are taken.

I am sure this is in the manual!

Russell

Mike

nobody important
GMC Elder
Thanks for that video, that helps a lot.... We're trying hard to make this as accessible as possible, so will look to see what we can do.
Memory wise, fonts are loaded in and textures created, so when you load in a heap of them...it'll take up more memory. But...on a 64bit machine, with gigs of RAM now, it's not as big an issue as it used to be - especially if users can't use it without it. (we aren't using ANY GDI stuff for the UI)

We'll add this to the list - thanks again for the video.

We've been using c# since it was released pretty much..... As soon as we started at YoYo, we started writing tools in it. It's a lovely tools language. :)

L

Ludorverr

My eyesight isn't the best either, I keep the font size pretty large at all times. But a drawback of keeping the font so large is you start to sometimes feel a bit lost/overwhelmed in the wall of code. That's where Code Folding (mentioned earlier) would help immensely, making everything so much more readable and easy to browse.

in GM1.4 I've actually already been using a rudimentary method of Code Folding, with tabbed scripts. haha. You can middle click on scripts names to open them. This obviously isn't as good as what real Code Folding would be, but it's helpful to me for the moment.

C

CedSharp

I've gotten used to the new GameMaker workflow.
Keeping all the object open in the workplace and using CTRL+ALT+Arrows to navigate is so much faster than the need to actually click all the time.
Also, CTRL+Tab and then arrows to quickly select a workspace, then a window open in that workspace, that's so useful.
I've become so much faster just with the new workspace!

In GML mode, middle clicking on resource names or scripts from inside the code will automatically move the workspace so that specific resource or script is visible. I'm loving it.

That's a big HIT to me :D

I

icuurd12b42

I think you are looking for the @"" strings which are the equivalent of 1.x strings where any characters, including new lines are taken.

I am sure this is in the manual!

Russell
Sorry, I dont follow... The split string issue is with the Syntax Checker. It looks like it's unaware that the compiler supports the slipt text... The code is perfectly fine and compiles

Thanks for that video, that helps a lot.... We're trying hard to make this as accessible as possible, so will look to see what we can do.
Memory wise, fonts are loaded in and textures created, so when you load in a heap of them...it'll take up more memory. But...on a 64bit machine, with gigs of RAM now, it's not as big an issue as it used to be - especially if users can't use it without it. (we aren't using ANY GDI stuff for the UI)

We'll add this to the list - thanks again for the video.

We've been using c# since it was released pretty much..... As soon as we started at YoYo, we started writing tools in it. It's a lovely tools language. :)
Yeah, you have f7 and f8 in studio 1.4 for changing font size on the fly, but I would much rather have the ctrl + mouse wheel like everything out there :) as you can see from the video scrolling the code and zooming/resizing the code has to be a fluid process;. f7 and f8 break that process, in studio it's a passable solution, not optimal and I hope you will fix this omission in gms2, a long wheel scroll is better than repositioning my hand to tap f8 multiple times...

MISS: Clicking an event brings the code into view but does not set the focus to the code box. Code box should get input focus with the carret set at the position I left it

R

renex

I have astigmatism so thin fonts are pretty difficult to read... this is why I use fixedsys, it's a very thick monospace. Good thing I have a ttf version of it so I can use it in GMS2.

One thing I noticed though is that when you click text the cursor doesn't land on the right spot, it seems to be snapped to the left side of the clicked character instead of the nearest character intersection.

I

icuurd12b42

I have astigmatism so thin fonts are pretty difficult to read... this is why I use fixedsys, it's a very thick monospace. Good thing I have a ttf version of it so I can use it in GMS2.

One thing I noticed though is that when you click text the cursor doesn't land on the right spot, it seems to be snapped to the left side of the clicked character instead of the nearest character intersection.
I actually ALMOST posted this as a miss. but I double checked with the forum post editor and notepad and both indeed favors the left of the character you click even if you clicked on the right edge of the character. So does MS Dev Studio...

Notepad++ does in fact work finding whichever edge is closest. and so does studio 1.4!!! so I'm with you. adding it

MISS: Caret not positioning itself properly when you click a word/character as it did in studio 1.4

I

icuurd12b42

Here's the tabulated MISS list mentioned so far...

MISS: space + left mouse button for moving workspace canvas is POINTLESS because the moving can only be done when you click the workspace canvas so the modifier is useless. Have left button act like middle button for moving canvas and be done with it
MISS: Can't move the workspace canvas when I can't click the workspace canvas background (windows in the way) No doubt space + left button was initially made for this but broke in the code editor. Have the ALT key be used as move modifier...
MISS: Could code errors be reflected in the events area as well and in the object (tree view) maybe, to make it easier to track them down?
MISS: No code folding. would be nice to have folding on /* */ and { } and also to have user defined start and end fold tags
MISS: Ctrl-Mouse Wheel does not resize the font
MISS: Treeview and lists don't respond to keyboard character inputs. Hitting C in the font list in the font property, for example, does not scroll to the C-Fonts
MISS: Many Windows Stanndards are not followed in general for many tiny little deatial which is agravating
MISS: The Syntax Error does not update properly, Showing me an error in my line when the error is in fact resolved
MISS: Code Syntax Checker is unaware that the compiler supports the slipt text... The code is perfectly fine and compiles while the syntax checker complains
MISS: Clicking an event brings the code into view but does not set the focus to the code box. Code box should get input focus with the carret set at the position I left it
MISS: Caret not positioning itself properly when you click a word/character as it did in studio 1.4
HIT: Background layers can have a speed set in the level editor. This makes it very easy to make moving clouds.
MISS: The level editor only lets you enter integer numbers for the hspeed and vspeed, so with the minimum speed of 1, my clouds are moving way too fast!
HIT: background layers can tile horizontally.
HIT: Code editor recognises user created variables.
MISS: Font looks yuck and colour scheme looks yuck for code editor
HIT: crop to selection in the image editor
MISS: in the image editor, I would like it if it scrolled when I was using the selection tool and my mouse was the edge of the screen. (I don't know if that makes sense). That would make precise selection of big images much easier.

LifeJumb

Code Editor:
HIT: Much better
MISS: Can't resize the font (ctrl+mouse wheel)
MISS: Not respecting the windows standard for selection ESPECIALLY with the mouse actions
MISS: Default size is too tall and you cant see the status line with the function parameters
MISS: Not respecting my windows double click settings
So I'll be very happy as long as I have some sort of folding haha.

I used a double '{' and '}' in the example I gave because that's visually faster for me to make difference between a block and a region.
If you could add something in the code settings to let user decide what to use for region foldiing that would be nice.
I'm thinking of a couple different ways:

1. No special formatting for regions, just fold '{' and '}' even in the comments.
Code:
// My Region {
    some_code_here();
// }
2. Instead of using '{' and '}' for folding, maybe use indentation? this way we can simply indent the code after a comment and it becomes a regions
Code:
// My region

some_code_here();

// My other region

some_other_code();
3. Usage of the visual studio style of regions
Code:
// #region My region
    some_code_here();
// #endregion
4. Usage of some Intellij Idea style of regions
Code:
// <folding desc="My region">
    some_code_here();
//</folding>
5. Maybe allow user-defined "string" for folding? ( provide opening and closing input in which to put it )
Code:
// My regions  {fold}
    some_code_here();
// {endfold}
those are all proposition. I know that if you implement only one, people won't be happy. ( I will tho! )
So maybe, like my point 5, implement a "search substring" to find fold start and fold end, ( which can only be found in comments of course )

+1

zargy

HIT: Mostly everything. I'm really impressed by the number of improvements made.

I mainly have some minor nitpicks. I understand that you guys have probably done what you could in the time you had.

MISS: Is it just me, or is the manual non-reachable when GMS2 isn't open? It seems like it's actually hosting it on your machine, and when I close the program, I can't read it anymore. I'm not sure what the point of this is, but I'd like to be able to open the manual standalone. I can't possibly imagine the purpose of protecting access to it.

MISS: It's great that the code editor will now autocomplete for instance variables, but could it conversely show syntax errors when I'm trying to access a variable that hasn't been defined? I spent 5 minutes wondering what was wrong when I had typed img_speed instead of img_spd in the step event.

HIT AND MISS: The resource editor
I think a lot of the improvements have been really great, but I hoping see something more akin to Unity3D's asset explorer. Resource management has always been the biggest workflow bottleneck for me when dealing with larger projects. I'm sure Resource views will help with that somewhat, but I'd guess that I'd still run into the same issues as previous versions.

MISS: With the sprite editor specifically:
- This might be a bug, but I can't seem to copy subimages from one sprite to another.
- It would be great if I could see the subimage list as a grid and not just a straight horizontal list.
- I can't seem to reverse the order of the subimages easily.
- I also can't select multiple subimages and then move that group of subimages.

R

renex

You can just open the help index file on a browser though. The help contents don't work but the index tab seems to work.

zargy

You can just open the help index file on a browser though. The help contents don't work but the index tab seems to work.
I would like a simple .chm file that I can copy and open anywhere or something similar.

xot

GMLscripter
GMC Elder
No contents, no search, and the index is only partially functional. Not very useful. Weird that it requires a web server. My old GM:S help file web conversions never required one.

I would like a simple .chm file that I can copy and open anywhere or something similar.
It would be nice, especially since it is authored as a .chm file in the first place.