GML Struggling with trying to come up with something original

Discussion in 'Game Design, Development And Publishing' started by steveyg90, Apr 8, 2019.

1. steveyg90

steveyg90 Member

I guess one of the hardest parts in game development is actually coming up with the design for an original game, something that makes it unique, this is what I struggle with and always find myself copying parts from other games.

How do you guys come up with original ideas or do you think taking inspiration from some games is fine?

2. Niels

Niels Member

Well if you study other "original" succesfull games, you quickly find out that every game is build on the foundations of other games.
    So instead of trying to come up with something totally original, you can pick a game that you love to play, and can make yourself, and then see what you can change (setting, gamemechanic, or mix it with a other game) to make it it's own thing.

Another way to look outside gaming for inspiration

3. steveyg90

steveyg90 Member

Yeah, I really like to create something similar to Overwhelm, I've now got a great graphics artist to work with me so looking forward to something similar to that with random elements...

4. RefresherTowel

RefresherTowel Member

All creativity is synthesis of previous experience.

mamacato likes this.
  5. pixeltroid

pixeltroid Member

Well, to me an "original idea" could be the games story or weapon/enemy/level design or maybe a mechanic. But even those will have to be implemented within the framework of a borrowed concept. For example, if youre making a platform game, its been done before countless times. But you can implement an original idea within the limits of a platform game. Even then there's a good chance that someones already done that idea before.

I just stick to tried and tested things and tweak it a little. Sometimes, an error or a glitch gives me an idea. For example, at one stage of my project, my player would begin to float inside a solid object for some reason. It was a glitch but I liked the effect so much I decided to make it a gameplay mechanic!

6. steveyg90

steveyg90 Member

Some good advice here, thanks.

7. BattleRifle BR55

BattleRifle BR55 Member

"If you wish to create an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe."

-Carl Sagan

8. HeWhoShallNotBeNamed

HeWhoShallNotBeNamed Member

While we're using food quotes to describe game design:

"I don't think I'm as much of a creator, an inventor, as I am a chef. I mix things together and get new flavors you don't expect."

-Ken Levine

So don't worry so much about coming up with a completely original idea as long as you can combine established ideas in unique and surprising ways.

9. deem93

deem93 Member

Check out this documentary on how Atari employees were coming up with game mechanics, without prior examples to steal from.

steveyg90 likes this.
  10. Pfap

Pfap Member

Getting high in some room near the women's restroom?

11. OgreKiddo

OgreKiddo Member

Play video games. You'll find what you like/dislike