• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

String with width 0 - cannot fit into callstack???

Hychan

I'm not sure why, but in my Draw GUI event I can no longer draw strings. When the debugger reaches the line of code which should draw a string, I just get the phrase
string "Charm" with width 0 - unable to fit
callstack - gml_Object_oMite_Draw_64:851
(Here the string is just the word Charm, and oMite is the object which does just about everything in my game)

I watched a few tutorials to try and understand the call stack, but from what I can gather it doesn't seem to involve strings?

Is my code just horribly unoptimized? How can I fix this issue?

chamaeleon

I'm not sure why, but in my Draw GUI event I can no longer draw strings. When the debugger reaches the line of code which should draw a string, I just get the phrase

(Here the string is just the word Charm, and oMite is the object which does just about everything in my game)

I watched a few tutorials to try and understand the call stack, but from what I can gather it doesn't seem to involve strings?

Is my code just horribly unoptimized? How can I fix this issue?
I'm going to hazard a guess you're using draw_text_ext() or a similar function with a width parameter that is less than the width of a single character measured in pixels (in your case, you're specifying a width of zero). Change the parameter on line 851 in the Draw GUI event.

Last edited: