• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!
  • Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Windows strange relations between fps, fps_real, room_speed

nesrocks

Hello guys, three weeks ago I decided to use GameMaker for my project. I got it from the humble bundle and I was doing my 2D pixel art game on unreal engine until I thought it was too much trouble and tried GameMaker. I liked it and have been working on it since. I had no prior experience with it.

Recently I noticed a problem with my game's performance on older machines. Basically, if the room_speed is set to 60, it runs at 45-50 fps. If I set the room speed to 999 (on the fly using a key shortcut) then the game runs at 70-80 fps. On either option, real fps is 250ish.
On my new notebook it runs at 60 when capped to 60 and 999 when capped to 999.

Why would this be? It is super weird. Vsync and alternate sync are turned off.

So... After researching I think the right way to do it is using delta time and leaving it uncapped (999), right?

Last edited: