• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!
  • Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

iOS Strange iOS screen drawing issues [SOLVED]

N

NathanMeunier

Hey gang, I'm working on prepping my game Missile Cards for an iOS launch (it's out now and running fine on Steam), but I ran into a super weird screen drawing issue I'm trying to troubleshoot on iPad/iPhone hardware. Hoping maybe anyone has ideas on what might be causing it, so I can work through it and get the build ready for testing.

Here are the deets:

Where I'm at: After a day to jumping through tech hoops, I managed to successfully link my PC to my Mac, export a build into Xcode, get it all codesigned and setup properly, then (through dark magic) successfully get a build uploaded into the iTunes Connect and setup for Testflight internal testing. That was a huge PITA, but it's working now.

During this process, I tested the iPhone build on the mac using the iPhone emulators, and it looks right/runs fine.

From there, I was then able to download a build of the game through Testflight directly to my iPad 2 (and again to a different iPad Mini) to test on the actual hardware.

Here's the PROBLEM:

The game boots up fine, and it shows the title screen and menu buttons....except it's drawing everything completely static and not showing any of the animations. There's a moving background that is set to move but isn't, and the intro title animation doesn't show up at all.

This intro menu is all in a single room. When I tap around, nothing updates visually, but I can actually trigger transitions to other rooms, interact with element and begin playing the game.

Meanwhile, it's continuing to draw the static first second of the intro screen, even when I'm in other rooms, even when I'm able to interact with objects.

As far as I can tell, all of the object positioning is in the right place, since I can tap on where buttons should be and "play the game" despite not being able to see anything (I can tell based on audio cues). The static "snapshot" from the first second of the game remains no matter what.

I'm not doing anything fancy code-wise for the views. The view is set in the room, and it's set to scale/keep aspect resolution. I can't figure this out, as it doesn't seem to make sense.

Any thoughts about what might be going on here?

Cheers!
-Nathan

N

NathanMeunier

Whoopsie! Nevermind. Found the problem. My obj_system was drawing the view to a surface when it shouldn't have been.

*facepalm*

Excited, though, because not only does the game now work beautifully on iOS, I'm even running it on a junky old iPad 2.