Strange Concept/Idea

Dragula5892

Hello everyone, I have a weird idea/concept that I want to try and do, if not, then it'll be an idea for another language. My idea stemmed from inspiration when thinking about Comic-Con and wanting to build a walking, talking, LQ84-i "Blade Wolf" robot/animatronic from Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance. This idea drove me to think about how i could program a very basic text input/output in GML similar to a chat-bot, but more advanced and can learn as you interact with it. Does anyone have any ideas how I can start this is GML? A group I'm in suggested to look into parsing trees and data storage. Data storage seems pretty straight forward, can anyone explain what a parsing tree is? Thank you for your help and time reading this, I know it's a lot.

RangerX

You seems to want to tackle something that is wayyyyy over your head but ok.
Just warning you that you are going towards the most difficult and tedious AI type to program. It really is anything but beginner's stuff.

John Andrews

Living Enigma
You seems to want to tackle something that is wayyyyy over your head but ok.
Just warning you that you are going towards the most difficult and tedious AI type to program. It really is anything but beginner's stuff.
Yep listen to this guy kid, this AI type is something really tough and not something a normal programmer would try for fun, I'd reccomend you to keep it simple in whatever you are doing and go for the secure stuff you already are familiar with, It's no rocket science but it's close to it . . .

Anyway hope I was helpful! :D

G

gamedev513

Yup, I agree with everyone above. This type of AI is very difficult to construct if you are not an advanced programmer; however, it is not to say GMS2 cant handle this. Althought the algorithms to produce such a project would be insane and you most likely will quit and start a new project, it theoretically is possible in GML.

RangerX

I'm aware, but I wanted to see if it's even possible
The answer this question I will answer it like I answered all the threads that are popping every single week and always asking the same thing (is game A or idea B can be done with GMS).
The answer is YES. Like with pretty much all engines and languages, the real limit is yourself.

W

Wraithious

What do you want the program to learn? If it's just things like names of people it conversed with or places it has been that it was told the name of the location it could be done with string manipulation fairly easilly, you'd need to have preset questions that when answered would be stored in memory, along with a unique id number that's generated when the robot app gets the answer to the person and/or place's name, and with a gps extension locations could be synced to a string for later recall or to identify the person named such and such that it met in such and such a place.

So a plan of action might be:
if text contains "hello"
reply would be "hello. what is your name"
if text contains "my name is"
parse the rest of the string for the name, and add the unique id to it with the location.
Then later repeat, if text contains "hello" ask for name, if a match is found run through the list of the names replying "Tom from fifth ave?"
if text contains "no"
reply "Tom from eighth street?"
if text contains "yes" use the unique id associated with that 'tom' to reply "I remember you it was 91 degrees out and raining that day"
if no matches are found store the name as above and reply "nice to meet you"

furthermore tho as to what language to write it in, I would go with java, or some other language that supports speech recognition. the reason is because GMS 1 and GMS 2 DO NOT support speech recognition, which I'm guessing would be extremely handy for a robot type app so you don't have to type things into the robot all the time.

Last edited by a moderator: