Story Creation

B

bodiddly

I'm new to this forum, so if this has been discussed in detail, bear with me. I have downloaded the trial of GameMaker Studio, and my son and I love it. We've been making short games and learning along the way. My question is, how can I acquire a good story or idea? I know that's a broad question but, I find myself easier to create the game, then make the idea of it. Maybe under the collaboration section would be better suited. I just wish I could find a good story or a simple concept that I would run with. I'm sure ideas are a dime a dozen, as well as worth gold, for the right one.Thanks.

B

bodiddly

What sort of stories do you like? Mimic something you're already a fan of, then change the characters and setting. Once you get going, you sometimes end up with something completely new.
That's what I was thinking. I know Quentin Tarninto is a famous director from simply watching movies. Maybe I should play more games ... Lol. Seriously though, I keep thinking it's the story that counts, first. I think once I get that down, or at least a good idea, I will go from there. Playing around with the software is fun, but without a goal or somewhere to go, it's just random at the moment. Thanks.

Psycho_666

You do know one of the most famous games ever made have a story of "princess is kidnapped, rescue princess". One other madly popular game have a story of "pigs stole eggs, birds wants eggs back"...
You don't need rich and complex story, tbh. The game im working on at the moment is "the king passed away, you are the king now, deal with the kingdom".
Half life - science experiment went badly.
Skyrim - dragons are back, stop them.
Everything else is basically a filler. It's extra content you can make at any time. You don't have to know the entire story step by step in the beginning. In a game especially, the story can vary from play through to play through.

The more important part for me is that the story should fit the gameplay. So you need to synchronise them.

E

ethian

Que tal:
"March Montage is a 8-bit 8 years old girl that likes to be hyperactive with sugar and one detective that also knows martial arts. Also, she is obsessed with a certain documentary. What she scares to her and also what she hates are emotionless psycopaths. Her major wish is to make that detective to exterminate all the emotionless psycopaths of the world for good, then make a great party because of the existence of the detective that knows martial arts, she at the end, her wish becomes reality because of an abuse of saying to everything that doesn't exist "this doesn't exist" from the world."
What the hell is that story? Anything random from the hell, dude.

E

EbolaWare

ZOMBIE (sorry)
I'm sure you've worked past this point already, since it's been 2 whole years... But there are many long running theories about stories. I subscribe to this one, because it feels right to me.
Code:
The Seven Basic Plots https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Seven_Basic_Plots
(can't post links yet, created my forum account just to post this).

Either way, especially since you have a writing partner, plot development should be easier than writing alone. You'll be able to bounce ideas off of each other. Anyway, I wish you the best of luck!