• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Windows Steven Universe: Gem Warriors (0.0.1b) [1/11/18]

S

Sir KirbyThe4th

Putting the 2 bestest things in the world into 1!

16 characters currently planned, but will add more once more is on the show. I'll probably even add Lars, or even Pink Diamond, but the giant characters will most likely will not be scaled down to be normal sized. Unless people want me to do that.

Versions:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ec067ae05zf67nc/SUGW 0_0_0_05.zip?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/4tu5ap3ses7zu6q/SUGW 0_0_1.zip?dl=0

0.0.1b
https://www.dropbox.com/s/e9377e2epzoozds/SUGW0_0_1b.zip?dl=0

Things to note:
When the boss shows up, there is no cut-scene yet, but the music does change.
Arrow Keys to Move, kinda thought that if you saw that Z & X are to attack, maybe you'd assume that the arrows are to move.

I'm trying to make as many original assets as I can, & I use a really lazy Donkey Kong Country style of making sprites, & changing almost nothing about them in post. & of course I'm not Pixel, so I can't do everything which is why I use remixes of various Steven Universe songs I stole from Youtube. Though, I only use the songs that provide a DL link. Kinda not entirely sure if that's ethical or not. & sounds are from Sounds Resource. Though the latter sis not put in the credits yet.
So that's it so far. Tell me what to do, or what not to do, or if it's time to stop, or anything. That's why people use this forum. To get advice from other, betterer game makers, & not some rando.
Also the code is very sloppy & shyte.

Made with GM Studio 2 Pro.​

Last edited by a moderator:
A

Autumn lynx

if this becomes the next big thing please beware of copyright.
just a heads up.

because some of my games i made were remove on Unity for copyright reasons

S

Sir KirbyThe4th

if this becomes the next big thing please beware of copyright.
just a heads up.

because some of my games i made were remove on Unity for copyright reasons
Yeh, same thing happened to me for all 2 of my games on Gamejolt.

Ladi_Pix3l

I like this. I had an idea for a game like this but I'm not educated enough to understand the Ai mechanics which I love BWT.

S

Sir KirbyThe4th

I like this. I had an idea for a game like this but I'm not educated enough to understand the Ai mechanics which I love BWT.
They just move towards either a player, or a general if they're close enough, while also bouncing of of each other if they touch. Otherwise they stand perfectly still. Which is fine, cuz they're gonna be off screen at that distance anyways. & with generals, they just move towards the player if they're close enough... and they also follow the boss. So soldiers follow generals, who follow bosses, and they all follow you. It'd probably sound simpler if someone other than me was explaining it. Someone better with words.

Ladi_Pix3l

That's fine. It sounds like a lot of if statements however. I'll pm you when I decide to get started on that project if you don't mind :oops:

S

Sir KirbyThe4th

Just some updated screenshots with the credits background. Only 2 more graphics left to do until I get to 0.0.1.

G

Guest User

so this is Dynasty Warriors + Steven Universe?

what Homeworld gems are you planning to add in as enemies? it'd be cool to fight Amethysts, Jaspers, and Topazes with all their unique abilities.

S

Sir KirbyThe4th

so this is Dynasty Warriors + Steven Universe?

what Homeworld gems are you planning to add in as enemies? it'd be cool to fight Amethysts, Jaspers, and Topazes with all their unique abilities.
A: Yes.
B: Levels are ripped directly from as many episodes as I can, with obvious liberties taken to make it a level. Something like Laser Light Canon (Season 1 episode 2) may have you guide Greg as he drags the canon along to defeat the giant red eye, as mini ones try to attack him. Or maybe a level where you try to avoid the eye of sight of Blue & Yellow diamond, as Roses pop from their bubble, & attack you. I don't just want to stick to 1 level type. I know Season 1 episode 1 will be very similar to this one, but the boss will be held in 1 place & will always be there, while mini centipeetles attack you. & some levels will be exclusively boss fights, like the Jasper fight. Or hell, maybe you even fight Yellow diamond as Pink Diamond. But Pink Diamond is not currently set for the roster yet. Though I am planning to have minor characters like Zircon, or Aqua Marine. & Ruby & Sapphire are actually 1 character. Where Sapphire will basically act as an assist to Ruby, pulling in baddies so she can attack them.

Hope you like text walls.

S

Sir KirbyThe4th

What to expect from 0.0.2:
-Garnet
-Season 1 episode 1
-Dash attacks
-1st Alt. Pearl costume

Characters will only have a maximum of 3 alternate costumes. Some won't have any. Those w/out would be characters like Peridot, Aqua Marine, etc... Kinda just want to add in 1 main character per update with at least 1 new level, until I have all 4. Then updates won't be as consistent. Then when I have all 4, I can actually make a trailer.

S

Sir KirbyThe4th

This game is not canceled, other things just take priority. I've been trying to juggle everything at once, but I can't work on 1 thing w/out delaying another. So, I dunno, here's Garnet's first punch.

I do feel bad about not getting things done, but I've also been neglecting this game for too long.

S

smashingparadox

Good presentation overall.

Some constructive criticism:
1. It is good practice for a game to keep the player's hands on the same controlling device throughout the game. In your game, you use the mouse to navigate the menus, but in the game you have to use the keyboard, so the player has to switch. It's better to use all-mouse or all-keyboard. Or even left-hand is always keyboard, right-hand is always mouse. But the point is that the hands don't switch devices.

2. It would be better to start the player in an empty room, and then teach them how to do each move and each combo. Then let them attack one or two enemies for "wave 1". Then let them defeat more and more massive waves of enemies. This would give a feeling of progress and accomplishment. In its present state there seems to be infinite enemies, so fighting them seems like I'm just wasting time until my inevitable death.

The art looks fine. The menus look great. Just keep working on it, and you'll have something pretty great. Good job!

S

Sir KirbyThe4th

Good presentation overall.

Some constructive criticism:
1. It is good practice for a game to keep the player's hands on the same controlling device throughout the game. In your game, you use the mouse to navigate the menus, but in the game you have to use the keyboard, so the player has to switch. It's better to use all-mouse or all-keyboard. Or even left-hand is always keyboard, right-hand is always mouse. But the point is that the hands don't switch devices.

2. It would be better to start the player in an empty room, and then teach them how to do each move and each combo. Then let them attack one or two enemies for "wave 1". Then let them defeat more and more massive waves of enemies. This would give a feeling of progress and accomplishment. In its present state there seems to be infinite enemies, so fighting them seems like I'm just wasting time until my inevitable death.

The art looks fine. The menus look great. Just keep working on it, and you'll have something pretty great. Good job!
Yeh, I've gotten 💩💩💩💩 for using arrow keys & mouse before, but that was all in the same area, where this game is segmented from menus to gameplay. & I guess my excuse is that this is a very, very early version.

S

Sir KirbyThe4th

Game undeleted from Gamejolt.