• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!
  • Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Question - IDE steam_user_owns_dlc for consoles?

mhermann

Anyone have any experience implementing the functionality of "steam_user_owns_dlc" but in a console environment?

Any thoughts or ideas? Assuming we need to look outside of Game Maker?

Thanks!

Cpaz

The way steam and console environments handle DLC will be completely different regardless.

However, you could easily have these checks be os dependant using the "os_device" constant.

As for how consoles handle DLC? I assume that documentation is locked behind the exports since Sony, Nintendo, and Microsoft are normally veeeery tight lipped about their SDKS. (and since there's no documentation for them in the public manual: https://docs2.yoyogames.com/)

mhermann

I know we can offer and track DLC on the console side. But unsure how to tell game maker it as purchased. It is built in for Steam but not consoles. I may be phrasing the question incorrectly.

AnotherHero

I know we can offer and track DLC on the console side. But unsure how to tell game maker it as purchased. It is built in for Steam but not consoles. I may be phrasing the question incorrectly.
Generally, information specifically about console development will be found in that specific console's forum or documentation, which you can access if you have the license to export to said console. The way DLC is handled might be different for PS4, XB1, etc

mhermann

Yeah, we have access to that so I will look there. Just wanted to see if anyone had any experience on the GMS side of the equation.

MusNik

Even if someone had such experience, he couldn't share this, because all information regarding GameMaker consoles programming / compiling is NDA'd. So you need to go into consoles forums anyway.