• Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Steam steam_upload_score_buffer size limit

Lewa

I have a question regarding the SteamAPI.

I'm currently implementing leaderboards into one of my projects and my intention is to allow players to upload replays of their runs to the steam leaderboards.

GameMakers steam API exposes the steam_upload_score_buffer function which allows you to upload a buffer in addition to the score (which is perfect).
The issue is this line here in the documentation:
The buffer should be no more than 256 bytes in size
256 bytes as a hard limit makes this basically impossible. (It's simply not enough to store that kind of information). In my case the replays can be (on average) around 15-20KB in size.

Is this 256 bytes limit imposed by the Steam API or was this set internally?
Lookin up the equivalent function in the steamworks documentation (AttachLeaderboardUGC) it doesn't mention the 256 bytes limit at all. (From research i've heard/read online that it is around 1MB?)
Steamworks also explicitly states that this can be used for replays:
This content could be a replay of the user achieving the score or a ghost to race against.
So even if there is a limit imposed, it has to be much higher than 256 bytes (otherwise i've no idea how storing information for a replay system could be achieved.)

Does anybody have experience with that and why this is the case?