• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

SOLVED steam_send_screenshot() is not uploading screenshots to Steam

The steam_send_screenshot() is not uploading screenshots to Steam. The screenshot function works, since it saves the screenshots on my PC. I just don't see them in the Community section or the Screenshots section on my Steam profile. I'm logged in to Steam on my PC and the overlay shows up on the game when I run it and Steam is enabled.

Here is the code I have in the Draw End event

GML:
if steam_is_screenshot_requested() {

var file = game_display_name + " " + string(current_day) + "-" + string(current_month) + "-" + string(current_year) + "-" + string(current_hour) + "-" + string(current_minute) + "-" + string(current_second) + ".png";

screen_save(file);

if steam_initialised() {
        steam_send_screenshot(file, window_get_width(), window_get_height());
    }
}

Might want to throw some debugging in see if those if statements are being tripped.
I didn't debug it, but I added a breakpoint at the "steam_send_screenshot(file, window_get_width(), window_get_height());" line and it still did nothing like it's not even hitting it.

I've also tried it without the "if steam_initialised()" as well. But it still doesn't upload.

curato

You may have thought of this but you have went through all the settings and made sure the steam api is install and configured? Also are you running it through steam where you get the overlay?

TsukaYuriko

☄️
Forum Staff
I didn't debug it, but I added a breakpoint at the "steam_send_screenshot(file, window_get_width(), window_get_height());" line and it still did nothing like it's not even hitting it.

I've also tried it without the "if steam_initialised()" as well. But it still doesn't upload.
Removing the failsafe won't make the code work.

If you put a breakpoint on the line and the breakpoint is not triggered, the line does not run. If it doesn't run, it can't fulfill its intended purpose. Until it runs, you can't even make any statement about whether it does.

Put a breakpoint earlier and step through your code. See what runs, see what doesn't. Go from there to figure out why it doesn't.

I found out what was going on. I just wasn't understanding how the screenshots actually worked on Steam's side. I thought that after the screenshot was taken in game by pressing F12, the screenshot was immediately uploaded to the Steam Community Group. But when I activated the overlay with Shift + Tab, I saw a Screenshots section that had all of the screenshots I had been taking and I had to manually upload them to the Steam Community Group.