Steam Reviews Question

Discussion in 'Game Design, Development And Publishing' started by Sean Catherine, May 23, 2019.

1. Sean Catherine

Sean Catherine Member

Does anyone have an idea of what kind of indicator a game's sales might be based on number of reviews?

2. BattleRifle BR55

BattleRifle BR55 Member

At least x number of copies have been acquired by Steam users.

3. Sean Catherine

Sean Catherine Member

Since not everyone posts reviews of games they buy, how many more sales than reviews might there be if say a game had 12 reviews —roughly of course? I guess I'm just weirded out because I'll go through about 6 pages worth of indi games every so often and there will be really awesome ones that have been out for a month or so with only a few reviews... I think to myself, "Damn, I hope this person has more sales than that with all that work they put in."
    I was also reading Misty's "Cantina" post —it's hard to look away from a Misty post— and I don't mind "over saturation" because the market will decide who lives or dies, plus that store is well organized so nothing is gonna get lost in some pile... I just need a better idea of what's going on. Anybody on here with relative success, would you share your story or am I out of line; or worse, are these questions something that've been covered a million times in the threads (I didn't see)?

4. sitebender

sitebender Member

I have read speculation that lower review numbers is like 1 review per 50 - 100. Larger numbers of reviews 500+ reviews it's 1 review per 1,000 - 10,000.

Key reviews don't really count to this number as keys usually mean given out or sold in bundles. So you can end up with a hundred thousand copies floating around out there and still get 0 non key reviews.

Sean Catherine likes this.
  5. Sean Catherine

Sean Catherine Member

Well that makes me feel more hopeful. I wish they'd post copies sold because that would be an even greater indicator of the worthiness of a game. Yes, many people could swarm and purchase a subpar game and not know it's bad until they play it, but that would come out in reviews. Wow, I feel more relieved that you said that though. Not that it's an exact science, but it's better news than what I thought.

6. woodsmoke

woodsmoke Member

I remember reading an article on gamasutra where I think the average factor was 12, but i could be wrong.

7. Yal

Yal GMC Memer GMC Elder

Also some things to consider:
    • Most people only post a review if they like a game, or really hate it. Forgettable games tend to not get a lot of reviews.
    • You need to play a game for at least 30 minutes to post a review, so games that makes people ragequit (or bore-quit) after 5 minutes will get a lot less reviews (and probably more refunds).
    Also, I've seen a lot of games where too much work were put into the wrong things, which limits commercial potential a lot - key example would be Le Fantabulous Game's original version, where the game has like 5-10 hours of content but it's super janky and super unpolished and people mostly played it as a joke rather than enjoying it. It got some fame as a Youtuber / Streamer game but it wouldn't have done very well in stores.

8. Sean Catherine

Sean Catherine Member

That's interesting about how sometimes people put a lot of energy in "the wrong things." For the most part, I've seen a lot of indie games that seem balanced in all aspects and everything is proportionate. I've also noticed that it is in fact a strange phenomenon of low-reviewed games on Steam having a lot of views on youtube —nature of the platforms I guess.