Steam Steam Remote Play

• Thread starter Deleted member 16767
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 16767

How exactly does it work? My game uses mouse to move and keyboard to attack and use skills. So, I guess people can't play it with their friends on remote then? It'd just be like a Cho'gall type of play from Heroes of the Storm, right? :p TL;DR: Two people control one character.

Yal

🐧 *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
The gist of how Steam's new "turn local multiplayer into online multiplayer" functionality works is that the guest player's(/players') inputs is relayed to the host player's game, and then a video stream of the game is sent back to the guests. So functionally, it's as if everybody were playing at the same computer*... so you can only use as much hardware as would be possible to plug into a single computer (e.g. only one keyboard, only one mouse). I've seen Jamestown advertise that it supports multiple keyboards and mice but that's a very non-standard thing.

*except with a lot more lag

D

Deleted member 16767

So it depends on how many USB ports people have for keyboards and mice? Or does the host need to plug in an extra keyboard? Sorry for being confused here. I am rethinking the character selection screen if the case is that the host only needs the USB ports, not two keyboards and two mice connected.

Yal

🐧 *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
So it depends on how many USB ports people have for keyboards and mice? Or does the host need to plug in an extra keyboard? Sorry for being confused here. I am rethinking the character selection screen if the case is that the host only needs the USB ports, not two keyboards and two mice connected.
The USB ports aren't the bottleneck here, it's whether the games can handle multiple keyboards/mice natively (since the OS doesn't distinguish between them, usually, it can't tell WHICH keyboard / mouse was used to input a signal).