1. Hey! Guest! The 35th GMC Jam will take place between November 28th, 12:00 UTC - December 2nd, 12:00 UTC. Why not join in! Click here to find out more!
    Dismiss Notice

Steam Steam Remote Play

Discussion in 'Game Design, Development And Publishing' started by mikix, Oct 21, 2019.

1. mikix

mikix Member

How exactly does it work? My game uses mouse to move and keyboard to attack and use skills. So, I guess people can't play it with their friends on remote then? It'd just be like a Cho'gall type of play from Heroes of the Storm, right? :p TL;DR: Two people control one character.

2. Yal

Yal GMC Memer GMC Elder

The gist of how Steam's new "turn local multiplayer into online multiplayer" functionality works is that the guest player's(/players') inputs is relayed to the host player's game, and then a video stream of the game is sent back to the guests. So functionally, it's as if everybody were playing at the same computer*... so you can only use as much hardware as would be possible to plug into a single computer (e.g. only one keyboard, only one mouse). I've seen Jamestown advertise that it supports multiple keyboards and mice but that's a very non-standard thing.

*except with a lot more lag

3. mikix

mikix Member

So it depends on how many USB ports people have for keyboards and mice? Or does the host need to plug in an extra keyboard? Sorry for being confused here. I am rethinking the character selection screen if the case is that the host only needs the USB ports, not two keyboards and two mice connected.

4. Yal

Yal GMC Memer GMC Elder

The USB ports aren't the bottleneck here, it's whether the games can handle multiple keyboards/mice natively (since the OS doesn't distinguish between them, usually, it can't tell WHICH keyboard / mouse was used to input a signal).

mikix likes this.