Steam [STEAM] PsyBurst : Side Scroller/Fighting Game Hybird

A

ajan-ko

About
Well, after 3 years. The project completed.

Psyburst is an action side scroller, featuring 8 unique characters with many different skills.
It's a hybird between sidescroller and fighting game.
Play as hunters and slash your way trough your opponent.

SCREENSHOT

STEAM

You can download the game in here.
https://store.steampowered.com/app/926240/PsyBurst/

If you have dxd3 shader error (usually in windows 10), download directx runtime
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/confirmation.aspx?id=35

Last edited:
A

ajan-ko

Reserved for later update
Feel free to leave comments.

Last edited:
E

Elson Ng

Looks really good. I love the art and the visuals when the character dashes, good job.

A

ajan-ko

My video review, good job :) -
hmm... interesting
So what I need to do:
1. Adjust the control quite a bit.
- Space/Enter on the menu.
- Space on jumping.
- ASWD for movement?
- How about the attack?

2. Giving intro music in 1st scene.

3. Change 'option' to 'options'.

4. The outline sprite bug, because I'm using 1.5 zoom (can adjust in pause menu), I should just giving it 2x as default, so no outline.

Actually it's Xbox control default :D. You can change the button layout on keyboard.

Hmm... what else...
5. The english, I'm bad at them... (English is not my 1st language). Gotta find some dude with good english skill. :'D

Thank you, I'm really need some input.

Last edited:
E

ElectricdonkeyYT

hmm... interesting
So what I need to do:
1. Adjust the control quite a bit.
- Space/Enter on the menu.
- Space on jumping.
- ASWD for movement?
- How about the attack?

2. Giving intro music in 1st scene.

3. Change 'option' to 'options'.

4. The outline sprite bug, because I'm using 1.5 zoom (can adjust in pause menu), I should just giving it 2x as default, so no outline.

Actually it's Xbox control default :D. You can change the button layout on keyboard.

Hmm... what else...
5. The english, I'm bad at them... (English is not my 1st language). Gotta find some dude with good english skill. :'D

Thank you, I'm really need some input.
The attack buttons could really be anything as the mouse isn't needed so perhaps z, x and c or something along those lines. Also perhaps have an option for arrow keys instead of WASD, some people prefer that.

As for the english, I did a little translation for you :) -

About
Well, this project took me almost 3 years.

Psyburst is an action side scroller, featuring 8 unique characters with many different skills.
It is based around two relic hunters exploring the some ruins and eventually finding the mysteries hidden within.
It's a mix between a side scroller and a fighting game with full control over the actions and moves.

W

wagyu_so_gud

There is a bug when using the left analog on a controller. If you jump straight up (without key left) and then you key left while in the air, you will not move left. Instead, your hspd moves a few pixels and then stops. While holding key left thereafter will render no hspd movement until you've released the analog (left) and then key left again. Some cases, it does occur on key right too.

I don't like how every hit incurred results in you falling down. It should be "critical hits" that results in the character falling down or something.

I don't like the controller function where the gamepad rumbles whenever you are guarding. I feel gamepad vibration should be used sparingly; not as a function when a button is pressed/held down.

Jumping up onto a platform: Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the way you programmed it, you have it where if the character's feet is between the platform, you snap the character on the bbox_top of the platform (onto the platform). This causes a feeling of "stickiness" when jumping. For example: if I am doing a double jump but my first initial jump is between the platform, it will immediately place me onto the platform instead of continuing my second jump.

Air dash: after double jump, air dash feels inconsistent. When single jump, dash is great; it is consistent and hspd is applied and you can anticipate your dash. However, on double jump, it seems to only work when your vspd is < 0. And when it does work, it does not move horizontally but vspd/gravity is applied with hspd. It should function similar in both cases for single jump and double jump because with the way it functions now, I don't know if my dash is going to work when I want it to work. And if it does work, I won't know if it will move the way I want it to move.

Overall, I do like the aesthetics and design. It has the potential to be really cool; it just needs some tweaking to improve the overall experience. Good work!

A

ajan-ko

There is a bug when using the left analog on a controller. If you jump straight up (without key left) and then you key left while in the air, you will not move left. Instead, your hspd moves a few pixels and then stops. While holding key left thereafter will render no hspd movement until you've released the analog (left) and then key left again. Some cases, it does occur on key right too.

I don't like how every hit incurred results in you falling down. It should be "critical hits" that results in the character falling down or something.

I don't like the controller function where the gamepad rumbles whenever you are guarding. I feel gamepad vibration should be used sparingly; not as a function when a button is pressed/held down.

Jumping up onto a platform: Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the way you programmed it, you have it where if the character's feet is between the platform, you snap the character on the bbox_top of the platform (onto the platform). This causes a feeling of "stickiness" when jumping. For example: if I am doing a double jump but my first initial jump is between the platform, it will immediately place me onto the platform instead of continuing my second jump.

Air dash: after double jump, air dash feels inconsistent. When single jump, dash is great; it is consistent and hspd is applied and you can anticipate your dash. However, on double jump, it seems to only work when your vspd is < 0. And when it does work, it does not move horizontally but vspd/gravity is applied with hspd. It should function similar in both cases for single jump and double jump because with the way it functions now, I don't know if my dash is going to work when I want it to work. And if it does work, I won't know if it will move the way I want it to move.

Overall, I do like the aesthetics and design. It has the potential to be really cool; it just needs some tweaking to improve the overall experience. Good work!
Wow, so much input. Let me say Thank You first, before I post the reply. :D

1. There is a bug when using the left analog on a controller.
-hmm.. never use the analog before, probably the dead zone, I will check it.

2. I don't like how every hit incurred results in you falling down.
-Well, I kind of suspect it, lot's of people hates the hard knockdown.

3. Gamepad rumbles whenever you are guarding.
-I never know they're rumbling (I never program the vibration), may I know what is your joystick type? (edit: nevermind, now I know.)

4. Jumping up onto a platform, snap into v_top
-Yes, I'm aware of that, I tried to fix that bug. (actually, this is kind of complicated)

5. Air dash.
- Another bug (I never knew before), player supposed can't dash after double jumping, but for some reason, it dashed downward. (press D + D + F quickly, probably dash buffer bug)

Last edited:
W

wagyu_so_gud

Wow, so much input. Let me say Thank You first, before I post the reply. :D

4. Jumping up onto a platform, snap into v_top
-Yes, I'm aware of that, I tried to fix that bug. (actually, this is kind of complicated)
I felt like challenging myself so I wrote a quick program that demonstrates my approach on collision checking and jumping through platforms.
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B4k0YHVB7irPdF9nZ2JGM1gzd3M

The red platform is "solid" so you can't jump through and the blue platform is "hollow" so you can jump through it.

If my code makes no sense, feel free to let me know so I can clarify. ;)

A

ajan-ko

RowdyCoder

Pretty impressive. My only crit would be that of possibly adding some breakdowns to the animation for both the jump and the landing.
- A frame (hold) showing anticipation for the jump which would read as "power" to the user - even a subtle read makes a big difference.
- A frame or two showing some follow through on the landing - having his knees bend and maybe in the next frame have the sword react. That would read as a sense of "weight" to the user - even if only for a split second. Helps with adding a little more life to the character.

Other than that you got a cool game on your hands. Good luck!

A

ajan-ko

Stage 7 crystal effect. Adding some light effect here and there... hmm... (=_=)a

Spike Trap
Invisible Crystal

Last edited:
A

ajan-ko

Trying to demo the game to the public... People like the PvP aspect of the game...

Last week, I have tons of problem with the resolutions and pallete swap.
Now I'm planning to create the trailer, I hope I can make good trailer from it.
And those translation, gotta do something about it.

Last edited:
Is it me, or does the character sprites look out of place in comparison with the rest of the level (environment)? Maybe its me, but something just looks out of place. I assume a lot of the GUI is just a placeholder?

A

ajan-ko

Is it me, or does the character sprites look out of place in comparison with the rest of the level (environment)? Maybe its me, but something just looks out of place. I assume a lot of the GUI is just a placeholder?
??? What do you mean?

Last edited:
A

ajan-ko

you can see there went a lot of work into this game! how far is it done?
Right now I'm focused to create the underwater stage, I need to finish it at 31th may.
The next month probably set the storyline, final boss design and polishing some stages.
I will finish it in around October (I hope, because anything can happen in development).

John Andrews

Living Enigma
Wow! This game is fantastic! The work really pays off! I will make sure to download the demo some day and give it a score, I am sure it will be high! :D

A

ajan-ko

Update 1.0.0.7

So basically I tried to combine side scroller and casual fighting game, and the result is...

I screwed up.

The reason? Where I need to begin?

Side scroller more emphasises on freedom of movement, the more freedom you have, the more great it feels.
While the basic mechanics of fighting game more emphasises on footsies or whiff punish.

The first problem is, there's mechanics in side scroller called "Dash Cancel" and "Jump cancel",
Without these 2 moves, the character movement will be super sticky and feels very slugish.

The second problem is, there's just too much button,
so my button is: light atk, heavy atk, special, special Ex. Now I need to change the button into 3, Attack, Special, Special Ex.

The third problem is, when you attack, you need some momentum to keep player slide a little bit, not suddenly stops.

Now I need to adjust the game, and test it more.

My brain is fried.

P

Phantasma

When I tested out the demo, it felt really clunky. I played as Tim and I don't think the problem with the attacks is momentum, it's just the attacks while standing still are too slow. If you can speed up the attack animations, I think it will feel a lot better.

A

ajan-ko

When I tested out the demo, it felt really clunky. I played as Tim and I don't think the problem with the attacks is momentum, it's just the attacks while standing still are too slow. If you can speed up the attack animations, I think it will feel a lot better.
Thanks for the input, I'm gonna speed up the animation speed. :D

T

Tonydaderp

Looks really good! However.. the gui and huds look too simple. They are placeholders right? If not, I think you should improve the detail. Other than that, it's a really great game with a ton of potential. Keep up the great work!

A

ajan-ko

Looks really good! However.. the gui and huds look too simple. They are placeholders right? If not, I think you should improve the detail. Other than that, it's a really great game with a ton of potential. Keep up the great work!
Uh which one GUI? The life bar or the player select?

A

ajan-ko

Trying to make new moves... Water wave?
still buggy... >_<

Blanka + Megaman = will it work?

Last edited:
A

ajan-ko

Megamaid, she can run and shoot...
Now, I need to program her dash state... >.< huft...

Last edited:
A

ajan-ko

Now, I understand how important the control of the game.

Control is not only how to move your character, but it also dictates the pace of your game. The more complex the control, the slower the pace of the game is, the more "tactical" it feels. So, in order to create high pace, simple control is the way to go.

Complex control does not equal deep, it just make it more "tactical".

The problem is, to make the control feels right, it takes time.
Even the slight things like "slide slash", it can create another feel to the game.

https://hakagame.itch.io/psyburst/devlog/8322/devlog-movement-and-feel

L

Lucia

very interesting game! I just saw your topic titled "Color Palette?" and I was looking for more info. Great draws, great style, amazing design. Congratulation! I follow!

A

ajan-ko

very interesting game! I just saw your topic titled "Color Palette?" and I was looking for more info. Great draws, great style, amazing design. Congratulation! I follow!
Hi, thanks for the feedback. Hope you enjoy the game. :D