Windows Steam or Itch - or both, and in what order ?

W

Wintermute()

My game is completed, and I am getting ready to launch. I've been approved in to Steamworks, done all my ID/Tax and yadayada. currently about to incorrporate the Steam SDK into my game, achievements, trading cards and what have you. I have a seperate build I will use for itch.

My question is for people experienced in publishing games. Where would you publish first ? I could put my build on itch right now, but obviously getting all the Steam stuff done like my Steam storefront, the cheeves etc is going to take longer, and delay the release on steam.

Should I release on one before the other, or both at once ? Thoughts, opinions ?

It has been thoroughly tested by a large range of people of a large range of age groups from 16 to 55. In fact the last 6 months has pretty much just been refining the game and fixing bugs! So I think it is of a standard that is ready for launch.

Thank you,
W

Last edited by a moderator:

Fern

Itch is great if you don't want to make money and/or your game isn't up to par with the average consumers standards.

Steam is great if you want to make money and your game is up to par with the average consumers standards.

It's important to remember that once you put your game on the Steam platform that you put your reputation on the line so make sure your game is of a moderate quality.

T

The Sentient

Itch is great if you don't want to make money and/or your game isn't up to par with the average consumers standards.

Steam is great if you want to make money and your game is up to par with the average consumers standards.
Ha! Love it! Pretty much sums it up though.

W

Wintermute()

It's important to remember that once you put your game on the Steam platform that you put your reputation on the line so make sure your game is of a moderate quality.
I would be using Itch more as a profile raiser than a money maker - I have a different build for Steam with achievements, trading cards, multiplayer modes, etc. But my question was more of timings: "Should I release on one before the other, or both at once ?" I used to run a web-based business for 10 years dealing with the hordes and using my own content (not games) so I have a rhino hide after that experience.

I think I decided what to do though... i'm going to have a cut-down version of the game (maybe a couple of regular levels, 1 multiplayer level) on itch for free, or very little money - to use as a teaser, and the full game on Steam.

M

MishMash

I haven't published yet myself, however will be in a similar position in a few months. Currently, my plan is to do a Beta pre-release on GameJolt (A version which is mostly finished, represents the core of what the game will be but is lacking final polish and content bulk) in order to achieve a few things:

1) Exposure - More people being made aware of the game
2) A small bit of dosh for additional polish, features and marketing (whatever is needed really).
3) A trial release run to get an idea what a full release will be like, but with reduced stress and pressure from consumers (Given the smaller target market). This one is particularly important to me, as I know that bugs will inevitably crop up, and I want to be able to know how to best tackle a post-release project without mucking up the reputation of the game, or misleading customers by accident. (I will likely take the game off-sale on GJ once its released on steam, or atleast limit it, and try to give keys to all existing consumers. They would still have access to the download and whatnot)

So i'd suggest releasing on Itch first, however, that doesn't necessarily mean that you should undercut your project, or spend any less time on preparing the store front. At the end of the day, it is important to make sure your game is represented in the best way possible, no matter what platform you are releasing on first. I imagine being in a position where your game is done is very encouraging indeed, i'd take enough time to make sure everything is done properly (No typo's!!!), as the hard work is mostly behind you.

Good luck with your release anyway, i'd definitely be interested to hear how it goes if you do plan on doing a split release on Itch first!

W

Wintermute()

I haven't published yet myself, however will be in a similar position in a few months. Currently, my plan is to do a Beta pre-release on GameJolt (A version which is mostly finished, represents the core of what the game will be but is lacking final polish and content bulk) in order to achieve a few things:

1) Exposure - More people being made aware of the game
2) A small bit of dosh for additional polish, features and marketing (whatever is needed really).
3) A trial release run to get an idea what a full release will be like, but with reduced stress and pressure from consumers (Given the smaller target market). This one is particularly important to me, as I know that bugs will inevitably crop up, and I want to be able to know how to best tackle a post-release project without mucking up the reputation of the game, or misleading customers by accident. (I will likely take the game off-sale on GJ once its released on steam, or atleast limit it, and try to give keys to all existing consumers. They would still have access to the download and whatnot)

So i'd suggest releasing on Itch first, however, that doesn't necessarily mean that you should undercut your project, or spend any less time on preparing the store front. At the end of the day, it is important to make sure your game is represented in the best way possible, no matter what platform you are releasing on first. I imagine being in a position where your game is done is very encouraging indeed, i'd take enough time to make sure everything is done properly (No typo's!!!), as the hard work is mostly behind you.

Good luck with your release anyway, i'd definitely be interested to hear how it goes if you do plan on doing a split release on Itch first!
Thanks for the input! I will check out gamejolt, I've also read indiedb is worth having a version on. I guess the more eyeballs, the better.

With my game, I pretty much had the basic game done in about 9 months, then the next 9 months was spent testing, bugfixing, expanding the levels, adding multiplayer, secure online high scores, local achievements. but you do get to a point where you just gotta leave it alone and finish it! :) It's a hard thing to do, finish a game, there's always something that could be better!

My market is niche, and to be honest I'm not that worried about will it earn me any money.... my project was to teach myself programming and GMS. I didn't actually expect to produce a game out of learning, but i seem to enjoy the learning process so much, that it just kept evolving and growing, and 18 months later I've ended up with a finished product that I think fans of the genre might enjoy - so why not give it a crack and release it - and prepare for the brickbats and bouquets :)

Adding multiplayer modes (co-op campaign, and deathmatch) added probably 4 months in itself to the dev time... thinking that would be simple - that was an eye opener!