• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

GameMaker Steam Leaderboards - Optional Data

T

Thomas N

Hello,

I'm using Steam Leaderboards in my project. The Steam web page says:

Each entry contains a score for the leaderboard (an int32) and optionally up to 64 int32s of associated data.
I would like to use the optional int32s/data but could not find a way to upload it. It seems not possible with the two available upload functions ... and might be impossible at all with GML?

Last edited by a moderator:

YellowAfterlife

ᴏɴʟɪɴᴇ ᴍᴜʟᴛɪᴘʟᴀʏᴇʀ
Forum Staff
steam_upload_score_buffer is the one you want - the buffer can be up to 64*4=256 bytes.

T

Thomas N

Hi YellowAfterlife,

Thanks for your help. I tried it with steam_upload_score_buffer but I thought it would not work because the uploaded data doesn't appear in Steamworks where the Leaderboards are. But maybe thats my fault and this data is just in the background and not available in Steamworks itself?

YellowAfterlife

ᴏɴʟɪɴᴇ ᴍᴜʟᴛɪᴘʟᴀʏᴇʀ
Forum Staff
Hi YellowAfterlife,

Thanks for your help. I tried it with steam_upload_score_buffer but I thought it would not work because the uploaded data doesn't appear in Steamworks where the Leaderboards are. But maybe thats my fault and this data is just in the background and not available in Steamworks itself?
I've not checked Steamworks for this but I wouldn't surprised if the site didn't - it is binary data after all. should try displaying score data after downloading scores, as shown in Steam event example in the documentation.

T

Thomas N

Okay, thanks.
It would be a great help for me to see some data (at least a little bit more than just the highscore entry with int32) outside the game. I guess I have to do some programming to achieve that. ;)

FredFredrickson

Artist, designer, & developer
GMC Elder
I've not checked Steamworks for this but I wouldn't surprised if the site didn't - it is binary data after all. should try displaying score data after downloading scores, as shown in Steam event example in the documentation.
Resurrecting this old topic because I'm curious about this... assuming you've used steam_upload_score_buffer(), how does one later retrieve the data from the leaderboard? Does it come down in the async event under "details"?

YellowAfterlife

ᴏɴʟɪɴᴇ ᴍᴜʟᴛɪᴘʟᴀʏᴇʀ
Forum Staff
Resurrecting this old topic because I'm curious about this... assuming you've used steam_upload_score_buffer(), how does one later retrieve the data from the leaderboard? Does it come down in the async event under "details"?
If I remember correctly, yes - try displaying json_encode of incoming data. I think the buffer was in base64 format.

FredFredrickson

Artist, designer, & developer
GMC Elder
If I remember correctly, yes - try displaying json_encode of incoming data. I think the buffer was in base64 format.
Thanks Yellow - I should've pinged you sooner, haha! I actually figured it out this morning with some help from the GM Slack group.

Basically as you said - it's encoded base64. I had missed the part in the manual where it said it came in a "data" entry in the async_load map for Steam, so I had a fun time figuring that one out on my own. :D

I summed up what I found that was outside of the purview of the documentation and submitted a bug report/documentation edit for all that. Hopefully it saves people in the future some time!