Steam Steam Leaderboard with non-roman names

My game on Steam, Shisensho Solitaire, has a built-in Leaderboard that pulls data from Steam Leaderboards.

My problem is that players with names in Japanese or Chinese don't show up on my leaderboard, presumably because I don't have the fonts for them. I'm currently using a Verdana font.

Not knowing what language a random user name is written in, is there anyway around this problem? Thanks.

2Dcube

Nice looking game!

Old arcade games often only allowed 3 alphabet letters. You could simply only allow roman letters, but non Westerners might find it inconvenient.

You could detect the user's system language and send it together with their name + score, and then pick the font based on that.
However there are a lot of languages, and something like Chinese has a lot of characters which would mean giant font textures...
If you don't need the leaderboard inside the game you could direct players to an online website that displays it.

FrostyCat

Verdana doesn't come with CJK glyphs. If you want to display them, you should use a font that has CJK glyphs (e.g. Arial Unicode), include its TTF file and use font_add() to set up the font. For your reference, this is what the setup should look like. In actual practice, you want that font_add() line somewhere that will execute once and only once, before any potential CJK text is drawn.

CTL is another can of worms that GML still hasn't sorted out yet (though in a limited capacity with Arabic and Hebrew), but CJK appears to be fine for now.

NightFrost

One way to sidestep the issue is to not let players write their names but do what's done since arcade cabinets: display a bunch of letters (ie, A-Z) and have player pick from those. That of course wouldn't sit too well if a game were supposed to be multi-lingual. (I use this method in projects that have player name entries and use bitmap fonts I've drawn, so that I only need to draw a-z,A-Z,0-9 and some punctuation.)

Yeah, but since I've integrated the game with Steam, I really want to use the players' Steam usernames. And I've accomplished that now with FrostyCat's CJK glyphs tip. :)