GameMaker steam interfiering with controlls

Z

zendraw

so im setting the controlls as global variables, and then set temp variables then use those in the code.
GML:
//controlls
global.kright=ord("D");
global.kleft=ord("A");
global.kup=ord("W");
global.kdown=ord("S");
Code:
var mh=keyboard_check(global.kright)-keyboard_check(global.kleft);
var mv=keyboard_check(global.kdown)-keyboard_check(global.kup);
for some reason after i start the game, then chat with someone on steam, then go back to game, these controlls dont work. but functions like keyboard_check_pressed(vk_somthing); works fine.
and on another game of mine i think the controlls are done directly with the functions and inbuild variables, not global variables like this, on that game the controls work fine.

what is steam doing or what is going on with these global vars that stop working?

kburkhart84

Firehammer Games
That's weird. If you are willing to share the build I can test as well if we hook up on Steam, just to see if it is only your system or if it is somehow on everybody.

O.Stogden

I've also had a problem before with the Steam Overlay causing issues with keyboard controls in my game if you bring it up and then close it in-game. But I haven't looked into it much, it actually occurred today to one of my friends testing my game.

In his case, it was putting all the keyboard presses he was making into a chat in the Steam Overlay, even though the Overlay was closed.

Z

zendraw

i have send the game to a friend and he told me it doesnt work then i tested it and it truly doesnt work, so its not my system, its somthing with steam or game maker.

Z

zendraw

well is there any solution to this? do yoyo know about it? is it an active ticket on theyr list or somthing? now it doesnt work even when no1 is writing back, sometimes, sometimes it works, then it stops. its really frustrating.