Steam Steam Developer Account Question

Discussion in 'Game Design, Development And Publishing' started by KPJ, Sep 11, 2019.

1. KPJ

KPJ Member

Hey everyone! I have a question about publishing your game on Steam. At the moment, I am too young to have my own Steam account, so I use the Steam account of someone older. My question is, can I publish a game on Steam on the older persons account for now, and somehow move the game over to my account (when I get one), so that it's on my account and I am the "developer" of the game?

Thanks!

2. EvanSki

EvanSki King of Raccoons

No, Steam even says as much, they even say you should make a whole new account rather then syncing it with your main steam account

sitebender and KPJ like this.
  3. KPJ

KPJ Member

EvanSki likes this.
  4. Yal

Yal GMC Memer GMC Elder

If you're not yet old enough to be able to play games legally, I have my doubts you'll be able to create a commercially viable product. If I were you, I'd start out smaller, on a site like GameJolt... less paperwork, less fees involved, and people overall have a lower bar for what is OK quality and a more laid-back attitude to feedback.

5. KPJ

KPJ Member

Thanks @Yal! Yes, I am not old enough to create my own Steam account, but just to be sure - when you say "I have my doubts you'll be able to create a commercially viable product." do you mean that you doubt that I will be able to LEGALLY publish a game? Or do you mean that you doubt that I have the capability to make a commercial game that fits the standards of typical Steam games, or that is "worthy" of Steam?
    Thanks again!

Last edited: Sep 14, 2019
    pixeltroid likes this.
  6. Khao

Khao Member

The thing is, a commercially viable product is not a game that fits the standards of typical Steam games, but one that stands out and rises above that standard. You probably can make a game "worthy" of Steam (not hard in this day and age tbh). But will it sell?

KPJ likes this.
  7. KPJ

KPJ Member

@Khao True, I get what your saying
    @Yal To respond to your earlier statement, I have started publishing games on smaller sites (e.g itch.io, like in my signature)

So, I have a two more questions:
    1) Will I be able to create a new Steam account (just for developing, not playing) under an older persons email address, and publish games on that account while I'm under-age?
    2) And when I come of age to legally have my own Steam account is there a setting to change the accounts email address from the older persons email address to my own email address?

Thanks Again!

8. EvanSki

EvanSki King of Raccoons

1. Yes
    2. No