• Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Steam dedicated servers and app IDs

Ronchon

Hi,

My game, Ymir, requires dedicated servers and steam.
On most steam games, dedicated servers have a different steam app ID, so that they do not block launching the actual game with a " game is already running " and other issues like that.
- Now my server and client are in the same gamemaker project for convenience and because they share lots of code and functions. I used a starting argument (-server) to tell the program if its starting as a server or as a game client.
- In a gamemaker project, there's only one possible steam app ID you can put in. And i assume its embedded in the exe when building.

Because of this i'm not sure how to organize my workflow with 2 different steam app IDs for client and server. I'd have to made 2 builds everytime, manually change the app ID when building then client and then the server, and then transfer the server exe of the second build into the folder of the 1st client build ? that sounds like a hassle, when the only difference between the 2 exe would be that app ID.
Other solution would be to have 2 gamemaker projects. but then keeping them sync would also be a hassle ? not sure how i could do that in a convenient way.

Any help or advices would be greatly apreciated!