• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Steam Steam and dlls

Mick

Hi! I remember reading something about dlls and Steam somewhere a while ago but I didn't find the source now when searching. I'm wondering if Steam allows external dlls to be included with games (for using external_define etc)?

Yal

šŸ§ *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
AFAIK Steam doesn't allow third-party DLLs because of security concerns. Tried looking for the actual statement somewhere, but I couldn't find it... but they apparently have a bunch of DLLs on their own that can be used... but I'd guess GM's steam export takes care of that step automatically for you.

Lewa

I've never published a game on Steam, but i think that this only applies to the games which are uploaded to the Game Maker Workshop on Steam (Which is some sort of sandbox replacement for steam users.)

Games which were published on the "official" steam store don't have this kind of limitation. (If this was the case, probably 99% of Games would be in trouble as a lot of functionality is implemented via DLLs.)
You can check it yourself. Download any kind of game on Steam and check the games ressource directory. You will most likely find DLL files.

Even Game Maker itself already generates a D3DX9_43.dll file (if you export as a zipped windows executable).