Steam Achievements - any step by steps guides?

Discussion in 'Game Design, Development And Publishing' started by DigiChain, Aug 15, 2019.

1. DigiChain

DigiChain Member

I'm looking to add some Steam achievements to my game, but can't seem to find any simple (step by step) guides on exactly what code I need to run in my game and where.

Can I simply just use this code at the appropriate point to set achievements (without doing anything else beforehand):
    if !steam_get_achievement("Achievement") steam_set_achievement("Achievement");

Or do I need to be initialising Steam in some way first?

2. FrostyCat

FrostyCat Member

You should check whether the API is ready beforehand. This is clearly explained in the Manual's listings for Steam achievements and statistics functions:
    Other than that, what you showed should be exactly how it's done. Pay attention to the examples at the bottom of each function entry.

3. DigiChain

DigiChain Member

Thats great thanks!

So I'm curious where / how often do you run the steam_initialised / steam-stats_ready code?:

global.steam_api = false;

if steam_initialised()
    {
    if steam_stats_ready() && steam_is_overlay_enabled()
    {
    global.steam_api = true;
    }
    }

It would make sense to run it in the initial room, but if it were to fail then I'd need to continue rechecking throughout the game... or perhaps before each steam achievement. Wondering what best practice would be?

4. Khao

Khao Member

If I remember correctly (been a while since I did all this), if you have steam set up properly (you installed the SDK, told Game Maker your AppID code, have the achievements set in steamworks and all of that nonsense), steam should automatically be initialized when you run your game while logged into Steam. If you got that down, then yes, that line of code will grant you the achievement.

Personally, I checked "if steam_initialised() && steam_stats_ready()" every time I wanted to add an achievement, and literally never again elsewhere.

5. DigiChain

DigiChain Member

Yes, this would seem a more logical way of doing it, only checking steam is initialised at the point of actually using it. Thanks