Design Stealth Game Perspective/Type?

KPJ

Hi everyone! I just wanted your opinion on this question. I'm making a 2d stealth game in GMS 2, and I was thinking about which perspective or type I should have it. Whether I should have it from the side like a platformer (like a game such as mark of the ninja) or a top down view (like hotline miami)? After some research on 2d stealth, it seems that they are mostly platformers, and I haven't come across any top down 2d stealth games. Is this because a platformer is better fitted for a 2d stealth games? What are your thoughts on what is a more fitting perspecitve for stealth? And, what are your thoughts about a top down perspective stealth game? I look forward to your answers! Thank you!

T

Taddio

Funny you mention that, since I spent a good part of my coding week working on making the a.i. "see" in a acceptably-efficient manner.
Working with top-down MAY (or may not, depending on your maths/GM skills) be a bit harder to get started, since you will mostly work from a 360 degrees range, and have to make some field of view according to the player angle.
There'll probably be less checks in side-view.
Wasnt that hard to do, you just have to be efficient with lists and data manipulation.
collision_circle/rectangle/line_list() will be your friends.
I made my A..I so he knows how many enemies are in sight, and how many of his buddies are in sight, so it makes decisions based on the numerical advantage they have on you.

Reactions: KPJ

KPJ

@Taddio thank you a lot for your answer! At the moment, I'm leaning more toward the top down perspective at the moment, and I will definitely use your advice on the ai.